Korea, The Forgotten War Campaign

I know someone that will truely love that:

Donovan 2020 Mellow Yellow Music Video - YouTube

1 Like

Never again. I will never again try camouflage with yellow. Painting the tiger stripes was a nightmare to correct if I made a mistake. In the end I basically just said screw it and did squiggly lines.

Now to start the weathering process. Washes, dirt and mud effects. There will be very little chipping as the paint scheme appears to only have been used in March and April of 1951.

3 Likes

It turned out amazing! Bravo!

Despite what you say, the stripes look great Rory. These things had a wide variety of stripes anyway.

Well decal time for the M40 and unfortunately, these AFV club decals are terrible. They are breaking up on the backing paper after a slight dip in water. I managed to save most, including the dragon, but I have lost 2 digits on the serial number and the section decal is way too far gone to use:

Some judicious weathering will be in order…

Yikes! I have built a number of AFV kits and never had an issue like that with their decals. I wonder if it is only in your kit or a QA issue for that entire run of kits?

I have a suspicion the decals may be a bad batch due to the carrier film missing or being too thin. I tried others on the sheet and it looks like all those within in a band fall apart but all outside the band seem okay…

That is a real bummer, and yes, most likely you used alot of glue for fixing the lead weights. The fumes can’t escape from the inside and slowly bite their way through the plastic.

I know, it’s called experience. :slight_smile:

You can save this by drilling a hole in the collapsed part to let the fumes escape. After a week or so the plastic will harden. Then it is time for putty and some patience/ Please try, even when the result is not perfect, you will learn a lot. experience. :slight_smile:

Instead of using glue to put lead in confined spaces, I use melted candle wax. It sticks like glue and when you let it slowly drip in place it does not do any harm, and is pretty heavy on its own as well.

1 Like

Calling her done!

I mostly went with just a dirty/muddy look as the paint scheme was only on the tank for 2 months. Not enough time for lots of wear and tear. I also tried not to go overboard with the mud, just enough to be muddy but not enough to obscure details. Also this is only my second time using mud and dirt effects.

And lastly, because its damn cold and we (along with most of the USA) just had a big snow storm and Korea was allegedly cold in the winter, I couldn’t resist putting her in her element.

Really enjoyed this build. Sure, it had some challenges cough cough yellow paint but it went together well and is a unique looking paint scheme.

3 Likes

Looks great Rory!
Just one thing, I dont think the snow is to scale…

Nicely done. :+1: :+1:

You might say that… These guys at the Chosin Reservoir would likely agree…

Fantastic build Rory. It really looks the part.

1 Like

Why I outta… :laughing:

That looks like a warm, balmy day. Another day in Paradise!

1 Like

Reminds me of when I lived in Rochester, NY…

2 Likes

Time for a progress report. The M40 has been sitting on the shelf of shame since decals and flat coat. Still peeved about the decals breaking up. You can also see the awful silvering as a result…

1 Like

Yeah, those look awful. The vehicle itself looks A+. Can you take them off and source some AM decals?

1 Like

Salvage the cockpit for the next F86 repacement.

I think I will try that Rory.

I have looked at all of posted photos and enjoyed them all. You guys really show your talents in each photo.

Bob

It’s possible to have an extension?

I hope so. I’m way behind on mine. :wave: