La Résistance

He can’t because of the blackout… :wink:

3 Likes

Pretty awesome start and great structure work. Bookmarked!

1 Like

Cafe is complete (Ish)

Probably going to add some cross pieces to the storefront windows just to break them up and differentiate them from the front door. Also, thinking about adding a Nazi flag from the second story (like in the below image) to further tell the story of occupied France.

Thoughts? Overkill or not?

I also finished the cobblestones. Lots of split peas, but I like the look. Primed black and ready for painting and weathering.

I realized that I will have a good deal of negative space in front of the streetscape when the scene is fully populated. Thinking about adding a BMW R75 (sans the sidecar) passing by the cafe. That might add a heightened sense of drama as the motorcycle unwittingly passes by an unfolding assassination attempt. Looks like a good selection of these kits on the market (Tamiya, Armor 35, etc). Anyone have any experience with the R75?

Lastly, I have the first tree armature complete with some poly-fill to flesh out the branch structure.

Much like Cheyenne on his Gate House dio, I am going to attempt to leaf out the tree using miniature leaves. I’m using coffee filters dyed with acrylic inks and then punch cut from one of Green Stuff’s leaf punches. Since the scene is set in the fall, I will build up to an orange and red color at the top of the tree. Going to be time consuming like the cobblestones, but I think it will look better than a traditional flocked tree. Below is an early look at leafing out the lower branches.

Working on printing the German soldiers sitting at the cafe table for their last drink. Will share those when I get them printed, cleaned and primed.

11 Likes

Outstanding work. Really like the attention to detail. :hammer_and_wrench:

I highly recommend this one: ‘LionRoar (L3510) BMW R75 w/Sidecar’
Comes with very nice pre-shaped PE spokes.

—mike

3 Likes

+1 for the LionRoar BMW R75. Exquisite model and unsurpassed detail.

3 Likes

Superb looking work on the building- things like the iron balcony and the flowers really catch the eye. The flag certainly gives it that classic ‘occupied France’ look- kind of like you would see in a film or tv series.

3 Likes

I’m not sure about the flag. A brief tea-break search doesn’t show huge numbers of Nazi flags hung from civilian properties unless occupied by Germans.

3 Likes

I’m with Chepster, from my memory of period photos they often draped the flag from occupied governmental buildings, but rarely if ever from residential/retail ones - outside Germany/Austria anyway.

1 Like

Thanks all for the quick responses on the R75. Looks like that kit is readily available in the states. Guess I will have to scratch build a driver.

Below is the image that sparked the flag idea. Looks like a Parisian restaurant among other uses.

I’ve also seen numerous instances of signage marking Nazi preferred or safe establishments, especially Soldatenkaffee indicating cafes.

Not sold on one direction or another just yet, but ultimately, I’m trying to portray what the German officers think is a safe relaxing environment, however badly mistaken. I think the presence of the swastika and the signage help convey that to the viewer. Further, the passing of a motorcycle patrol will also lend to that false sense of safety.

5 Likes

While was Steve McQueen was jumping barbed wire on a motorcycle, James Coburn went the easy way. Loved that movie.

3 Likes

I think if you include the flag, some signage attached to the first floor railings making it clear the cafe is Nazi friendly would add to the story.

2 Likes

First figures primed and ready. The seated Germans are originals. The guy in the suit and fedora is from MiniArt. I can’t decide if I’m going to use the female from the MiniArt set. She’s way to dressed up given the times. I’ll probably modify her clothes or build an alternative.

Finished “sculpting” the waiter and will get him print ready later this week. I gave him a Webley Mk IV revolver figuring the Brits supplied the Resistance will all manner of weapons. The last figure will be a gentleman reading the paper at the cafe as the hit goes down.

I’m also mass-producing cafe tables and chairs. I think I will have 6 tables and 12 chairs when all is said and done.

Finally, still considering the motorcycle idea, though with the sidecar, it may be too wide for the section of street I have to work with.

6 Likes

Another option for a weapon would be a Welrod Supressed Pistol.

3 Likes

Very impressive work with the waiter! Are the two German officers your 3D sculpt as well? Or are those converted figures? Again, awesome work! I’m looking forward to seeing the finished result.

1 Like

That’s really coming along nicely! :coffee:

In case you were wondering… the Lion Roar R75 assembled kit dimensions are as follows.

Width w/sidecar: 52mm
Width w/o sidecar at handlebars: 26mm
Length: 60mm
Height w/rider: 50mm

—mike :motor_scooter:

2 Likes

Appreciate the compliments. The German officers are also 3d sculpts. I’ve tried my hand at scratch building with armature and AB putty in the past, but could never get to the level of detail I wanted.

3 Likes

Thanks for the dimensions, Mike. That will help with my decision. On the Lion Roar packaging, it wasn’t clear if a rider was included. However, from your dimensions it would appear so. Can you confirm?

2 Likes

Happy to help. Unfortunately, there was no rider included. When I built my R75 I was able to outsource a rider from ‘TANK, German Motorcycle Rider (Afrika Korps)’ — face scarf, short-sleeves and shorts — perfect for me, but not for you. I hope you’ll find a figure that fits the bike as well as this one did. In the meantime, I’ll keep a lookout for a figure (or two) which might work for your needs.

—mike :motor_scooter:

1 Like

Amazing work! The cafe itself is stunning. Thank you for sharing!

Jim
LSA

2 Likes