Late War Gebirgsjäger Conversion

Ok, here’s something new. It’s a light conversion of an Evolution piece, the SS Infantryman. I thought it was pretty ripe for an idea I had been kicking around for a bit so, here we go…
Obviously, Hornet head. Still the Gold standard after all these years! Swapped out the rifle for an ice axe and replaced the boots with DML items. I do love Evolution’s figures. Got another on the go at the moment but, I made a B******s of it so, it’s in the oven cleaner at the moment…

This one is where I finally learned how to model snow. I’ve tried just about everything over the years, baking soda, plaster, microbaloons, Krycell, all the usual suspects, you name it. Then, I came across this stuff. Powdered glass frit. Seriously, the photos don’t do it justice. It has the perfect texture and sparkle for snow and it’s dirt cheap too! About £2.50 for a bag that will last a long time. Set in place with pigment fixer. Looks awful until it dries. Great stuff!
G.

8 Likes

Never heard of it before but sounds interesting, not sure where we can get it across the pond.

It’s decorative glass powder available in all sorts of colors, it’s used by glass blowers, ceramicists etc and is available all over, Etsy, Ebay, Amazon

2 Likes

Hi Ryan,
Should be pretty easy to get hold of. I got mine on Ebay. It’s the stuff that glass-blowers use to colour the glass with swirls and things.
G.

1 Like

Beat me to it, Ken! :wink:
G.

1 Like

Lol, no worries.

Are you using clear, or white for your snow? I ask as I know the clear will turn white with layers.

1 Like

Used both actually. I’ve found if you use the Opal on the bottom layers and the white on the top, it gives a pretty good effect.
G.

2 Likes

Sounds good, thanks!

Beautiful figure and a great tip for the snow! Thanks for sharing both!

BTW, I believe you can upload much larger photos. I’d love to see some more larger format views and closeups! I’m always looking for ideas and inspiration!

1 Like

True dat!

Mario

1 Like

Isn’t it a bugger when your phone takes better pics than your camera setup :grin:
G.

2 Likes