Live Firing Query

Watching video footage of M2A3 Bradleys and Abrams tanks on live-firing exercises, something I notice is the apparent absence of turret-mounted red flags. I was under the impression that this was standard procedure when vehicles were engaged in live-firing … is it now not a requirement?

Paul

1 Like

Perhaps it depends upon the type of exercise? At NTC during the live fire maneuver phases of rotations there, I don’t recall ever seeing flags used on any AFVs. But there is no range control tower to check on such things as on a standard gunnery range where those flags are usually used.

1 Like

When I was firing at NTC there were no flags.

1 Like

Interesting … the footage I was referring to was during exercises in 2014 - 2018 ‘Atlantic Resolve’, and during the German Tour 2017 ‘Iron Brigade’.

Thanks,

Paul

1 Like

Following my initial question … when a tank has fired a shot on the gunnery range, why does it reverse for a few metres before returning to fire the next round?

Paul

1 Like

This does not always happen, but when it does it is simulating a “displacement,” that is moving back into an area of cover and concealment. The enemy will have seen you fire, so you back up into an area where they can’t see you and shoot at you. When you are ready to fire again, you pull forward, preferably into a different spot, to fire again.
This is the tank version of what you see in so many “shoot-em-up” movies, where a person steps out from behind a building, shoots, then step back when the bad guys shoot.
Ken

2 Likes

Tankerken,

Thanks for that!

Paul

1 Like

Firing behind a berm is called “hull down” and then one backs up to “turret down”.

1 Like