LM 841 (weathering commission work)

I was given this new LM 841 to weather for a friend of mine, Rickard Algotsson. I decided to give this 1:50 scale model a go. It’s a beautiful model with great details. Surprisingly enough, it is not made completely out of metal but the body part is mostly plastic. The arm connectors and joints, and all the small details are made from metal. An amazing piece, I must say. The only addition in respect to details is the antenna.I painted the hydraulic coupling ends silver to give the appearance of actual couplings and painted the exhaust stack, silver as well. I weathered the folks using a combination of rust, smoke to make the forks look rusty, like most of the reference photos I saw. For the rest of the model I used the sponge technique, very carefully, all over the model.

As this was a 1:50 scale, I had to try and control my hand movements as this was a smaller scale compared to what I was used to. The results is what you see. I’ve posted the original model, before weathering, and photos after the weathering was completed. I think, with the great details the model has already, I’ve managed to enhance them, making them pop even more.

Before weathering:

After Weathering:

The Vignette:

OK. Here is the finish product.

4 Likes

Brilliant work as always Charles! Your eye for detail and scale is excellent!

Did you have any reference images to work from or was this all just free-flowing?

Cheers, D

1 Like

Excellent weathering…very realistic!
Cheers,

1 Like

I always work from reference pbotos. :slight_smile: And at times, I add a little extra depending on the environment.

1 Like

Charles,
I loved your weathering of the LM841, but when I got to the vignette, I was just totally blown away.

I’m not really into heavy weathering for any venue of modeling as most is so over done and ends up on my unrealistic column. But your weathering just makes the model and vignette come alive.

Joel

1 Like

Thank you Joel. I know some weathering csn be overdone. But for certain vehicles, its not always the case. :slight_smile: There are many reference photos that cab a test to over weathering being completely within limits. It’s just a matter of how well the vehicle has been taken care of during its life cycle.