Railway Post Office - Look what was delivered today

That looks like a very detailed kit! Great job, especially the subtle weathering!

I have this kit and intend to build it at some point. Yours looks awesome!

Stunning build Bruce
tim :smiley:

1 Like

@phil2015 Neat book. Do you read German? Bet it has great photos, regardless. I have this German language book of the railway in my ancestral region:

Sloooowwwwly translating the interesting parts.

@BGT Splendid tram! 600+ parts scares me away. The underside - are the red (rust?) parts near the ends brake rigging? Looks like the orange parts - brake levers - are rusted? Enquiring mind wanna know.

1 Like

It is German. I don’t really understand German. I took German 30 years ago, but it’s all gone now. I’ll translate photo captions with translate online. The photos are terrific.

• most of the gondolas are pictured carrying ore (though there are a couple of interesting alternates)
  • i don’t see any pics with the white stripe down the side
  • there are a lot of pictures with Soviet locomotives and rolling stock repurposed and quite a few with French rolling stock

JPTRR it’s not a ‘hard’ kit as such. Gluing the glass in without glue showing was a bit tricky. Yes all the brown/orange parts are brake rigging. The boggy is a model in itself. I was going to give it all a hard time with the weathering. But it turned out better than I thought so I only lightly weather it. The image above was taken before I weather it.

bruce

1 Like

some cargo for my gondola

2 Likes

Nice, are the pumps and hoses included Phil?

Pumps yes, hoses no. I’m not using them other than as cargo, but I’m not sure what to use as a hose in case I wanted to use it that way.

In case you don’t already know, miniart is pretty good about showing what is in their kit including the instructions, on their website. In this case:
https://miniart-models.com/product/35597-german-200l-fuel-drum-set-ww2/

Or at least they used to be. It seems like they aren’t doing this for their most recent releases. Not sure if they are just trying to catch up, or have changed their policy.

I’m always happy to answer questions about a kit I’ve posted about, dont’ get me wrong, please, just calling this to you attention in case you didn’t already know.

Ordered this from David Doyle Books and it arrived today.

3 Likes

wow, that book looks very interesting. Are there any technical illustrations included? Specifications on the exact type of engines used in each draisine?

1 Like

There are some multi-view scale line drawings of some of the various armored trains. Just skimming through the book I do see where it mentions in a few places that the standard Soviet OW Series locomotive was used and when armored was designated as the PR-43 armored locomotive.

This book will have to wait for me to read it as I have more Osprey titles in my “read and review” pile patiently waiting their turn. Once I get those finished up I might get a chance to read the armored trains book and I can let you know what kind of specifics it lists. It does have some nice photographs in it.

Thank you,
Randy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you want even more parts there’s this:
https://miniart-models.com/product/38009-european-tramcar-strabenbahn-triebwagen-641-wcrew-passengers/
Instant diorama…

Cheers,

M

@M, no thanks. I would love to tackle one of those trams but these days, building a model with 30 or 40 Parts is taking months.:unamused:

SSyms, 6 Axle, 80 ton, Plattformwagen ~ from SABRE

I have complained in the past, (YOU? Oh surely not) about the Dragon 4-axle flatcar being just a rolling box with no underbody structure or detail. Well this kit from Sabre totally puts that complaint to rest. Over 400 parts plus PE! I am sure there are details in this kit that even the original designer of the car has long ago forgotten about!

This kit is nothing short of neigh-on amazing. ~ Each 6 wheel truck is a model maker’s work of art all in itself.

Looking at the sprues I am actually a little daunted to even try and take on this project!

Instructions printed in COLOR!

VERY nicely done display track (rails and sleepers) that can be curved if desired.

FYI ~ Warning: No raised roadbed is included ~ Unlike the Trumpeter or Dragon kits. However I would think that some carved foam board and a little ballast should solve that problem.

1 Like

1930’s European Style Air Brake Detail Set from L.Z. Models:

Nicely done resin parts, a BIG sheet of brass PE and a cute little CD * containing all the instructions - and more!

. .

• Often people don’t appreciate what they are getting with the instructions on CD. First of all you get MANY other instruction sheets as well. (Yes this may be considered blatant advertising but it is ALSO showing you a lot of other AM sets that; if you bought this one then you are GOING TO HAVE AN INTEREST IN ALL THESE OTHERS!

• AND . . .
    The CD means you stand a chance of getting ALL the latest data and/or corrections the manufacture has currently on the subject. With paper instructions they may print 5000 copies and unless they find an absolutely glaring error they are going to use up ALL those 5000 before they update and reprint the sheet.

1 Like

Hey EVERYONE!

Please consider taking a quick (10 second) Armorama survey. We are trying to find out just how many viewers are interested in both Armor AND Railroad Modeling.

I must simplify. I am missing to many cool posts. How is this book?

I just never got around to looking at this thread before. I thought it would be perhaps about a single interesting model or a collection of interesting photos. So I mentally filed it in the “check it out someday” bin.

However, because I frequently visit the "What the Postman brought . . " thread over in the Armor section, if you had chosen to use the word “Postman” in your title I would have jumped on this thread immediately.

Clearly you considered it because you mention it in your first 3-4 posts.

Tank_1812

1d

The platform did go through a rename for all these types of threads early last year. I started one in figures and it was assimilated.
What the postman brought today (Group name)

I would recommend the same for trains and based on the time and posts, rename Phil’s thread and have a mod move the content from here to that one but that’s just me.