Looking for a better primer

Just go to Home Depot and get the Solvable brand lacquer thinner. I think Crappy Tire carries the same stuff too. I find it sprays just as nice.

I’ve started saving the MLT for top coats or when I want something super thin and don’t want to worry about lifting what’s underneath.

1 Like

Perfect I just got a jug of that the other day for cleaning my airbrush! Have you tried it with mr surfacer and/or tamiya?

It defintlely seems hotter than Tamiya lacquer thinner, does a super job cleaning

1 Like

I use it with Mr. Surfacer all the time. I also use it with Tamiya and AK RC paints. It is significantly hotter than MLT so like I said, if I’m doing any colour modulation or shading layers I’ll switch to the MLT. Never had any problems with it.

I’ve never used Tamiya lacquer thinner but I can’t see it being an issue, MLT mixes fine with Tamiya paints, can’t see why it wouldn’t work in reverse.

2 Likes

Good to know, I’ll probably switch to it full time when I am out of Tamiya thinner, lots like 1/3 the price

1 Like

I’m a convert. Just primed some scrap styrene sheet and the mr surfacer went on super smooth, zero tip dry, zero graininess.

I think I’m in love

3 Likes

Yep. Now try some AK Real Color lacquer paint and your journey to the dark side will be complete…

I used AK real colors on my flakpanzer. And will be using them on my mustang builds. They spray beautifully but wasn’t 100% happy with the finish as they went on top of stynlrez and it was a tad grainy. The real colors it’s self when on really nice though.

1 Like