Looking for a Decent White Paint/Primer

I’ve got a couple of kits coming up that need to be painted white, and I’m looking for some recommendations.

I generally use Stylynrez primer, and their grey and black are excellent, but I have all sorts of issues with the white. Coverage is poor, and it tends to run, unlike the other two.

I’ve also not had a lot of success with Vallejo whites, but Tamiya was a bit better.

Can anyone recommend the best white paint/primer they’ve had success with, along with any tips to get a better look?

For white sandable primer I use Plasti-Kote out of an aerosol can.

I’ve used Tamiya white primer without any problems. Well I did have a slight problem. I used it on a Mercury Redstone rocket and I had problems distinguishing it from the white paint I airbrushed. If I did it again I would just use the primer as the base coat, it was that fine.

3 Likes

I too like the Tamiya,I use it as a basecoat and I still have Modelmaster enamel to overcoat it

1 Like

How do you keep the nozzle working? all my plasticote cans stop working after just one or two sprays. it is a good primer if i could get it out of the can.

Joe

1 Like

I usually use tamiya primer and like them but recently i had an issue with their white primer. i sprayed a car body with it and it came out blotchy. i wet sanded it back down and decanted the primer and sprayed it through my airbrush with no problem.
I also just started using mr surfacer 1000 but only grey since that is only color hobby lobby carries.

Joe

1 Like

I always turn the can upside down then spray to evacuate the tube and regulator. The only aerosol paint that give me problems are the cans that I kept for too long and the propellant has leaked out through deteriorated seals :thinking:

1 Like

I used to swear by Tamiya white primer, but now I’m using Citadel Corax White primer. Bigger can than Tamiya and cheaper. The paint goes on in a fine spray, and dries perfectly mat. Corax White is a slightly off-white, towards very light gray, but it doesn’t influence any over colors, and if you’re painting something white, just dry-brush pure white.
:grin: :canada:

3 Likes

yes i do too but that didn’t help. they usually clogged on the first use.

1 Like

Then you bought an old stock can. Plastikote is not as popular as Krylon and Rust-Oleum. The store had old cans that they sold to you

1 Like

I’m hoping mr base white is going to be it. I have some on the way, will report back next week.

2 Likes

Mr base white (1000) is an answer. Good coverage on the first coat (but two coats is probably better if you want an opaque white base). Will test masking on it in the next couple of days.

could be. they should stamp a date of manufacture on them.

1 Like

The cans are date stamped in code on the bottom

1 Like

I forgot about this thread but seeing it bumped. I had said I would test masking on mr base white and I have and it seems quite robust.

1 Like

I WOULD NOT recommend Tamiya White Primer (rattle can) as I have had it bubble up on me on two different model kits for no apparent reasons.

Now the Grey and the Red Oxide primers (rattle can) from Tamiya I can highly recommend@

1 Like