M113 ACAV - "Combat Commander" Completed (?)

Cool! Thanks Piet! Coming from you that’s high praise, I’m almost done with this AFV Club ACAV and glad for it! Your Lang Vei project is nothing short of awesome! I want to be that good when I grow up. :blush:

Cajun :crocodile:

1 Like

Up in my AO, the M106 was issued, and after awhile most all were converted over to the 81mm mortar. Why? I can’t really say, but guessing it was logistics and the fact that your firing in the 400 yard range 80% of the time. You could find 81mm ammo at most any base camp or even the most remote LZ if you could get to it.
The SF camp I was based out of used a weird looking figure eight mortar pit that was fed from two under ground bunkers. In the north pit were a typical 4.2" (know as four duce in country) and an 81mm tube. In the south pit was a Chicom 120mm and a brand new 82mm from east Europe. They had a huge stash of ChiCom ammo in two bunkers. Actually shot the Chicom stuff more than the U.S. stuff. The larger of the two bunkers (it was pretty big) had several hundred brand new SKS rifles and Type 56 AK’s (we always called them AK 50’s). Probably 500 or more NVA pistol belts (real good trading material I might add), and enough lice infested pith helmets to outfit a battalion. Then there were truck loads of small arms rounds all the way up to 51 Cal. I doubt seriously if they were ever going to run out of ammo in that place!
gary

1 Like

my email has quit again. (it worked for a month or so). Everytime Microsoft does an upgrade, I lost in space.
gary

What type/brand of e-mail are you using? I use gmail so there is no connection to which computer I use and there is no interference when Microsoft pushes an upgrade.
It is important to remember the password or having it written down somewhere in a secure location

I use Gmail on my note pad, and I finally found it last night (been misplaced for three months).
gary

Though not necessarily completed I 'm ready to close the books on this one and place it on the display until one day when I’m compelled to finish up the finer details. This build taxed my patience and tested my resolve to take it all the way. It was intended to represent a particular ACAV I spotted in a photo quite some time ago but I’ve not been able to relocate that picture so I opted not to include the spray painted “C’s” on the hull sides, too bad though because it would have made an intresting story. At any rate here’s the lastest pics for this build, take a look and don’t hesitate to share you’re opinions or observations, there’s some boo boo’s of course but my modeling skills are to blame for that . .

6 Likes

Those both look great!
The weathering looks spot on. I love the seats bolted to the top along with the M134!

1 Like

The Australian Army had green plastic water jerries by the late 60’s. These were a lighter green than the metal ones, had sloping tops on both sides, one small spout to let air in and a larger one to pour out o. “WATER” was stamped into the each side during manufacture. Tracks had a modified carrier on each side at the rear, to carry a fuel can and a water can.

As a side note Terry @bluebell69, I’m guessing you are a Vet from RAR VN, there’s a movie that was released in 2019 named “Danger Close” portraying the Battle of Long Tan, if you’re interested it’s not a bad rendition, not your typical Holly Wood production (Aussie film crew and screenplay).

Oooh yah I second that! Danger close is a very enjoyable film.

1 Like

Thanks Cajun,

That movie was release down under last August. A lot of the filming was done in the rain forest area near here. My niece was involved in the post production phase. I served with A Sqn Section #rd Cav Regt LAD RAEME.

Regards

Terry

1 Like