M42 Duster: Self-Propelled Antiaircraft Vehicle (Legends of Warfare) | Armorama™

M42 DUSTER: SELF-PROPELLED ANTIAIRCRAFT VEHICLES is a new title from DAVID DOYLE, part of Schiffer Publishing’s series "Legends of Warfare (Ground)." This pictorial book chronicles the M42 from the M15 40mm half-track and M19 gun motor carriage, through the M42A1.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/m42-duster-self-propelled-antiaircraft-vehicle-legends-of-warfare
2 Likes

A book on the Duster? Always welcome!!!

1 Like

I have one in my stash, so must get a copy of this.

1 Like

The only disappointment that I’ve ever had with any of David Doyle’s books is that it was too short!

Yet another one to add to my ever-growing list of future reference library acquisitions.

Yes, they are too short… usually.

i built the old Tamiya kit years ago and i have the more modern AFV Club rendition in my stash.

I think that is by design for the Legend series, akin to the Squadron books on a subject. It’s enough to get you interested but not intended for the hardcore history fans. At least that’s the sense I got from my copies. His other books like the CCKW and DUKW for example are not short but I guess you can always find more material to add.

@Klaus-Adler - the Tamiya kit doesn’t really compare to the AFV Club kit. If you would like to see them side by side, please check out my web page: M42A1 Duster

I would also like to recomment another book on the Duster - less technical, more of “use case”:

It describes in detail the less known history of Dusters at Khe Sanh.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Paweł

2 Likes

Yea… I intended that to be something of a backhanded complement and not a serious criticism. The limitations of interweb communication strike again! Seriously, I actually do love all of his books (and I’ve got a LOT of them, to include all of his larger hardbacks).

I will say this - seriously - he’s one of the few technical historians that really does an excellent job of integrating the economic-industrial side of the production history of the vehicles that he writes about in a significant way. Modelers are mostly familiar with his smaller, photo-studies from the Squadron-Signal range (and the more contemporary Legends of Warfare series), but he’s also written a lot of in-depth and important history.

I do know that a lot of my fellow modelers find all of that production stuff tedious and not especially useful for their modeling projects, but IMO this is where Doyle really makes his mark and earns his place with likes of Col. Icks, Ellis and Chamberlain, Hunnicutt, Spielberger, Jentz and H.L. Doyle.

So, sure, he always leaves me wanting more, but only because he’s both a particularly good writer and historian who sees and tells the really important side of the story that hardly anyone else bothers with.

2 Likes