M60A1 or A3 found in the wild?

Good catch, the one on the right looks like it’s off of an M1.

They are the same. The right side is just longer than the left and more exposed due to the torsion bar offset.

1 Like

Where it attaches to the road arm looks completely different to me from one side to the other, standard clevice on the left & what looks to be fitting from an M1 on the right.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this particular M60A3 is cobbled together from whatever was available to make a display tank for the base.

I’ll try to get additional pictures of the areas @KurtLaughlin Kurt, indicated over the next few days.

Just took a quick scan of my Abrams references, maybe not.

No, the left side has the original type of adjusting mechanism that used a wrench (little joe) to adjust the tension.

That’s unlikely. There were plenty of fully functional M60A3s available at the end of the Cold War for distribution.

In the conversion of M60A3s, however, various shortages and surpluses affected how the tanks were built at the depots. For example, excess M48 roadwheel arms were torch cut to remove the shock absorber lug and placed at the intermediate stations on M60A3s.

KL