Magach 6B Gal - MENG

Well that’s great. I have the Academy with Legend Stowage sitting in the stash right now

OK so here it is, less the headlight guards and a few little fiddly bits. Not sure on the turret positioning as you can see.

Unlike you lucky dawgs, my ‘man cave’ is the kitchen table, and my ‘spray booth’ is the porch! Of course i got this ready for paint just in tine for…cold weather!

So not sure what’s next, but thankfully living in the South means it never gets truly cold. Anyhoo, here we are!

(https://i.imgur.com/Tp5bigQ.jpg[/img)]

5 Likes

Looking good there Bruce!! Mr. Weather guy is call for mostly sunny and highs in the upper 50s here today. So it an excellent time for some front porch painting.

ASig00

Well life has a way of getting into my modeling goals, but I FINALLY got some paint on this! I am really trying to move over to Acrylics, and in the process have made every beginner mistake you can possibly make! am NOT a fan of Vallejo Air, but with the help of the esteemed Armored Sprue/Eric Rains, managed to get some paint on this. I did not get a pic of the girl primed in black, but using the Sotar 20/20, I slowly built the layers up for each individual bit, the idea that the huge number of crooks and crannies are left in shadow:

Still a ways to go but no looking bad!

8 Likes

I would say that’s looking pretty dam good Bruce… I’d be very happy with that colour finish … And even more so if you’re still just starting with acrylics…
What were the actual colours used ?

OK so calling it done. Large custom decal is from buildasign.com for less than $6USD
There’s still a bit more I could do, but feeling pretty good about how it looks now. Going to move on to some other things and come back to this later.

Note that I got this originally got this kit to both experience a Meng kit and really as painting practice for the upcoming Merkava’s, so all things considered I think it has turned out exceptionally well!

8 Likes

Looks brilliant… Great painting and finishing on it. It is also one I want to get. Great build :+1:

Superb model!!

Hey I started this to get experience with Meng but really for practice, but the more work I did the better the darn thing looked, so I just kept going!

I recently got my hands on the updated “Gal Batash” variant made by Meng, along with the Legend covered Bustle Rack. While looking at the parts, I noticed that the engine e deck is modeled in separate parts, which leads me to think that you can actually add a power pack (Legend makes an M48/M60 engine deck update kit).

How hard would it be to convert the resin kit to fit thf Meng 6B Gal?

It should fit the Meng kit pretty easy, the dimensions are almost identical with the AFV club kit.

You might have to do some modifications to the engine mounts though, if I recall correctly the engine does not fit the engine bay as is, I tested the fit quite some time ago for a review and there were some engine details interfering with the placement of the engine. There are also details missing such as ducts, pipes, wiring and accessories.

6 Likes

Yeah. I can spot the ducts leading to the air filters are missing.

Hopefully, Meng will come out with an engine bay of their own.

1 Like

Just a friendly bump to the top. I have a question regarding the texturing on the turret. what’s the most common technique to replicate the sandy grit texture used for the turret and top hull on the Magachs?

Pic below for attention. Not mine.

Not sure about common, but I use Rust-Oleum. It comes in various colours and sprays well. I have used it on Strykers, M1’s, LAV’s also looks good and to scale.

this is it on the M1 I did.

1 Like

Is this what they call their “terra cotta” texture ? I’m pretty far along in a Dragon Abrams build but am deciding the kit texture is insufficient & want to try this.

No, this one I used was the Desert Bisque version. I got that one as it would tie in nicely with the desert scheme I was doing. They do several 2 of which are Deep forest green or Autumn Brown which would probably tie in nicely with a NATO 3 tone cam ?

best
John

Best way I found was spray from about 8 to 12 inches and dont spray direct but draw it across the spraying area, not to slow as it builds up fast. Shake the can very very well, and make sure you mask nice and tight . Its good stuff and will be using as my go to for texture.

I used VMS Hull Tex on my Merkava Mk2, applied in a fairly hap hazard way as older vehicles don’t seem to have the very neat anti slip applications that newer Mk4’s have.

1 Like

Thanks John . I’m primarily interested in it for duplicating the non skid texture, the Dragon kit attempts this but it’s very understated . The more I look at it the more I want to redo it.

1 Like

I wound up using the AK interactive product. I really like it and am going to continue its use!