Magazine disposal

Evening all,

A question for the Antipodeans amongst us. I have a whole load of moddeling magazines, varying issues going back a few years.

I wanting rid of them as i dont read them now and i need the shelf space for my Kits (the mrs says they have to stay in the hobby room)

rather than just binning them is there anywhere you could recommend them going to? I cant see Vinnies or Salvos taking any.

I’m in Brisbane so local to there would be good

2 Likes

If you belong to a model club then take them to your next meeting and let the guys have their pick. At my local club we have had guys unload their unwanted books and mags this way.

6 Likes

I’m not in any local club here, but i’ll see if theres any about and reach out to them

4 Likes

I had the same problem. About half were 1980’s era Modelling & general weapons mags I bought as a job lot in a second-hand bookstore in the mid-90’s– forgotten the name of it, top end of King St Newtown (Sydney) but it’s long gone. Last year I ended up taking them (plus all my old Tamiya, FSM et al mags) to a Vinnies with an impressive book section, partly because I noticed many browsers were guys like me. A couple of months later the mags had gone, make of that what you will.

5 Likes

This isn’t meant to be intentionally humourous, but the first thing that crossed my mind was this:

Perhaps I need to get out more?

13 Likes

Me too Brian. That’s exactly what I thought of.

3 Likes

Phew! Glad I’m not the only military sh*t on the site(!)

3 Likes

Trust you to go there Brian! :grin:

(But I too had similar thoughts…)

3 Likes

i would call you all anchor faced but matelots and guns… ??? nope

2 Likes

Here in the states sometimes a library will take them.

3 Likes

My initial response was (is) intended to be humourous (as usual), but ended up as being stupid and irrelevant (as usual). I was going to suggest avoiding the method employed by one Gunner Haines at around 0500 hrs on 6 July 1900 at Brean Down Fort. The gentleman, being on sentry duty having been put on a charge for returning late to barracks appears to have chosen to end his misery by discharging his weapon down a ventilation shaft of No.3 magazine, this holding some three tons of gunpowder for the fort’s obsolete 7-inch muzzle-loading rifles, the propellant reacting violently to this insult. This resulted in the demolition of the magazine, a substantial part of the fort, and Gunner Haines…
:angry: :bulb: :boom: :broom: :headstone:
Cheers,

M

4 Likes

Brilliant Tom! 'Just love that last sentence, understated but factual. Couldn’t be more English.

4 Likes

A lot of “chugos” there.

1 Like

@deerstalker36 , Yes, try your local library system. As Tank suggests, libraries will resell them during their book fairs to fund activities and events.

2 Likes

Give them to any veterans group. Modeling has been proven to help those suffering from PTSD.

6 Likes

I don’t mean to belittle the condition at all, but Dear God - some of my builds have practically caused PTSD.

6 Likes

Bro I feel ya on that. I’m sure some of the insane stuff I’ve done to get the build just right. Like drilling out all the holes in the academy m113 Zelda and thinning the panels down to scale might have caused me more then 10 years of combat operations … :joy:

5 Likes

I have the same ( kind of) issue. I have EVERY issue of Military Minitures in Review(MMIR) With a few extras in between the preview and final issues. Not too sure I’ll ever sell them, but yoy never know when a great offer comes along.

3 Likes

I had the same issue a few tears ago. I had many years worth of back issues of FSM, Tamiya MM, and others. I couldn’t give them away. Nowhere wanted them as donations either. I ended up tossing them all in the recycling bin as I didn’t need, nor want them anymore.

4 Likes

My collection of magazines will probably go the same way.

2 Likes