Marder III G Normandy

Hi guys, can anyone confirm via reference material how many Marder III G’s 11th Panzer used in Normandy? I cannot find any other reference apart from some old film and a Nuts N bolts reference as per below. Greatly appreciate any further…Cheers.
Marder III G.PNG

1 Like

Not finding much at the moment.

The caption for this grainy photo states; “Marder III of the 11th Panzer Division was knocked out during the fighting with the U.S. Seventh Army following the landings on the Riviera coast.” - (random web snag).

The caption on your photo says the vehicle was lost near Montélimar, most likely between August 23-26. The units of the 11th Pz Div. involved were;

Kampfgruppe Theime, with elements of PzGr-Reg. 11, 1/Pz.Reg. 15.

Kampfgruppe Hax with two PzGr and two batt. of Luftwaffe Ersatz Abt 63.

Kampfgruppe Wilde with one PzGr. Batt. 1 artillery batt. and “some tanks”. _
-Operation Dragoon 1944, Steven Zaloga, Osprey Pub.

Thats about all I’ve found. Searches for these obscure Kampfgruppe yield nothing.

2 Likes

Thanks Paska, every little bit helps my friend.
Greatly appreciate your time for the information.
Kind regards, Jason

1 Like

According to a book about the 11th Panzerdivision I have, on the 1st of August 1944, they had fifteen Marder Panzerjäger.

The mentioned Kampfgruppen are also mentioned…
"By the 27th most of the 11.Pz.-Div., including Oberstlt. Erich Hammon’s Pz.Art.Rgt.119, was north of the Drôme, though some of Kmpfgr. Hax and of Wilde were retained to support the 198.Inf.Div. and the 338.I.D. under Gen.Lt. Richard de Courbière, which had crossed the Rhône from the west bank. These were again able to block American attempts to reach N 7, though American artillery ranged on the Rollbahn and littered it with destroyed guns, burned-out vehicles, and dead horses and soldiers. Ia Oberstlt. Werner Drews telephoned 19. Armee that the highway was hopelessly jammed up. Zugmaschine, prime movers, were used to tow vehicles across the Drôme fords, but heavy rain led to flooding. It took twelve hours to get the Elfte units across.22

At Allan 8 kilometers southeast of Montélimar, a small American force entered the little village that day on the heels of LXXXV. Korps headquarters units pulling out. Obergefreiter Englert’s six-wheeled radio van, equipped with aerials to connect 19. Armee with higher headquarters including OB West and OKW, was among the elements departing. The night before, 19. Armee Chef des Stabes Generalleutnant Walter Botsch had told Englert, “Quicker, quicker, we must go out of Allan and La Coucourde tonight, the 11. Panzer-Division cannot keep the route open, and I cannot operate without my radio-men.”23

The German rear guard had been reinforced by seven Marder Panzerjägers, the Marder III mounting a 7,62cm Pak 36(r) gun on a Czech 38(t) chassis, and two Sturmgeschütze from Major Arnold Kessler’s Pz.Jg.Abt.61. The entering Americans were a 3rd Infantry Division company team of an infantry company reinforced by a tank and a tank destroyer platoon, which knocked out a Marder. But in the tree line overlooking the village was a section of Panthers of 3.Kp./I.Abt./Pz.Rgt.15 under Oberleutnant Erich Stichler. When the leading M4 Sherman debouched from the houses it was immediately knocked out by a high-velocity round and the platoon leader was killed. A German counterattack fought into the village supported by the Panther and a Marder. A number of Amis were surrounded and surrendered. A second Panther was also spotted by the GIs, who stubbornly fought for the village.
It was common practice for a section of Panthers, well-camouflaged, to reveal only one panzer, while a second or third was ready to fire from a different angle. By day’s end the German forces had withdrawn to the north and the village was left to additional arriving 3rd Division forces. The American company team lost nine killed and thirteen captured of 130 personnel, with one M4 destroyed and a second disabled. German losses are uncertain beyond the Marder destroyed and a number of Landsers captured. Stichler was badly wounded later northeast of Montélimar, “shot through the breast and left shoulder with an infantry bullet,” said von Eggeling, “very likely from a partisan."

This is all the info I have found in the book…

3 Likes

Thank you Erwin, greatly appreciated also.
Jason.

1 Like

It is my pleasure to be of help!

2 Likes