Memorials, Museums and Cemeteries in the Somme Region

A little late but I saw it only tonight. A great report. Next year I want to spend our holiday in France and visit the chemin des dames.I hope I can convince my girlfriend. Now I take some time to watch your pictures more accurate✌

1 Like

Thank you for bringing this wonderful exhibit to my desktop! :star_struck:

—mike

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, Marco and Mike! My pleasure :slightly_smiling_face:

Marco, Northern France (and Flanders in Belgium) is full of memorabilias of WW1. One visit to that area is sure not enough. IIRC the Americans fought at Chemin des Dames which is a bit further east of Peronne. I plan to visit Verdun next year for a few days, maybe a long weekend. If you want some more informations about the area, like where to go and where to stay, just let me know per PM.

1 Like

Thank you, I will use your offer in time. Your certain right but I want to visit Craonne with the " Winterbergtunnel " nearby. Must be a very bad place to be, specialy for the french soldier in 1917. I have read a lot about it and want to see it

1 Like

The days around New Years Eve this year I spent in Luxemburg City and to my surprise I found a small german military cemetery just about 300 meters away from my hostel. Here rest the remains of german soldiers of both World Wars. Near the entry from WW1 with no named single graves …

… only 4 plates with the names of 205 fallen. As far as I could see they all fell in 1914 …

… further down is the WW2 section …

… there are 2 graves under each cross …

… most soldiers who lay here fell in May 1940, many others in August/September 1944 when the Wehrmacht was retreated from Luxemburg. The oldest soldier I could find was 47 years old, the youngest was Heinrich Siegler …

… 6 plates on the wall have the names of more soldiers …

… in the rear end of this cemetery I was really surprised to find some tomb slabs of prussian soldiers from the 19th century. Most slabs are already badly weathered or broken and barely readable like these …

… this one looks as if it was recently cleaned and repaired. It says R.I.P at the end …

7 Likes

Interesting little find. It looks nicely kept and looked after as well.

4 Likes

The german military cemeteries worldwide are maintained by the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge, or just Volksbund, the german equivalent to the british CWGC.

It was quite muddy there because it has rained a lot but I have good walking boots.

3 Likes