Meng 1/35th Chieftain Mk 10 Build

The next area tackled is the retainer for the drivers hatch and there is some very nice detail that is easy to tackle. this is followed by what I believe where added to remove a shot trap and the driver’s hatch. The armour behind the drivers hatch is shown on a Mk 12 Chieftain and also shows the correct display for the hatch in an open position.

Yes I did forget to remove the nodule on the drivers hatch catch which I initially left to make handling easier.

1 Like

Next up are the bump stops at the rear and the turret ring. The ring fits very well and my only question is why is it it a separate moulding? The rear bumps are very good replications of the real thing and should please all.

2 Likes

In my old unit 15th/19th Hussars the splashplate was always removed and replaced with a half coffin bin which then usually held the track tools and drivers toolbag. It also acted as a splashplate as well. This is the half bin I scratched to fit to the front of my Mk11.

SAM_0954 - Copy (2)

4 Likes

Nice touch bud and adds to the visual interest

1 Like

Photo etched grill covers and lifting handles came next and the photo etch was easy to work with, but these are going to be removed and replaced potentially with 3D printed offerings from FC MODELTREND and so we should be seeing which does the job to best effect. Something I really appreciate is that the lifting handles are plastic and so have a better profile. It should be noted that removal and clean up is a little difficult as they could easily be damaged during either stage.

A couple of easy steps one of which I am glad I tackled much earlier which was the mating of the lower and upper hull and so yes it can be done sooner with no downsides.

The rear bins go together well and look the part as can be seen here.

2 Likes

Thats different Max. Was it a Tp, Sqn or Regt wide thing ? first time I’ve ever seen that. Was there a reason for it or just to have a bit more stowage ?

Darren, Do they supply both grab handles for the Tx outer covers or only one ?

Regiment wide, used a lot of bins as were a type 57 Regiment.

1 Like

Was that for the excess bottles of Newcastle Brown ale you’d take out with you ? :grin:

1 Like

Good catch there but you only get one for each side I will scratch two as shown on the actual vehicle as that will be easy enough.

1 Like

That’s what charge bins were for, oh and ammunition now and then. A few pics I dug out and scanned showing the front bins.

3 Likes

That is the perfect picture of a bogged in Chieftain and a Dvr who is seriously going to be getting very dirty soon and who is also on top of the crap list lol …

One thing I wish i had done more of is take pictures on exercise while I was out there.

1 Like

Pardon my ignorance, but what´s the difference between this kit and the Takom kit?

Didn’t that bin in the front obscure the driver’s vision?
Ken

Herman: the differences are very minimal as regards parts and process.
The suspension and tracks are workable.
Light guards are easier to use.
Drivers hatch spigot is not as detailed as the Takom offering
Turret designed differently.

Yeah it took two Cent ARV’s to get us out, couldnt go forwards or backwards. we used two 50 ton shackles on the hull lifting eyes to pull us. I’ve got so many pictures form my time in Germany.
The bin didn’t go much higher than the splashplate and realistically when you’re driving you’re looking at the ground about 20 feet in front of the vehicle anyway. Even without a splashplate or bin you can’t see the ground in front of the wagon.

2 Likes

Thats almost a text book explanation of how I use to explain it on a D & M course lol…

Yup and good drivers remembered that you were driving to account for the ground that was coming in a second or two not what you were currently gong over.

1 Like

Drivers who need to look at the ground directly in front of the vehicle should drive VW beetle.
Those who have driven something with a hood/bonnet are used to not seeing the nearest
10 - 15 feet of ground

Small update for you as I have started on the rear of the hull.
There are some real high marks to this area of the model in that the rear plate is a very good fit and I wish every kit went together as well as this part did. Please also note the cable conduit detail which is something most models require us to add ourselves.

1 Like