Meng Leopard C1 - DONE!

Great looking so far, the “B” call sign was the Sgt’s tank in a Canadian Tank Troop, the AK Real Colours Gelboliv is the wrong colour for our early C1’s, should be more of a brown colour, not olive.

[/quote]

1 Like

I missed this build. You did a great job on this conversion. The whitewash is convincing.

Olivier

1 Like

Ok, so I tried to bring the brown tones out a little more as @recceboy suggested. I think I was partially successful. It still looks very green on these pictures but I swear it’s not. It really seems to depend on the light which way the colour goes. I think I’ll also experiment with a brown filter.

Tracks are on now. I used the indy links from the kit. My first time using plastic ones and I kinda botched them despite using a jig (albeit home made).

Also while I was repainting things I fixed the original placement of the maple leaves.

Clear coat is drying right now and then onto some weathering.

2 Likes

Brown filter and first pass at a pin wash is down. I think this is probably where things are going to stay for the foreseeable future. I’m planning some sort of base/vignette for this one and I don’t want to go much further on weathering until I can see it in situ and make sure everything fits together.

Question to @recceboy, @Jason_Bobrowich or anyone else who hung around West Germany in the 80s…

I’ve got a pic of the tank in question on EX peaking out from around the corner of a house. Problem is all the houses I can find in 1/35 are ruins and the house in question is very much not.

Was there an urban ops playground at Lahr or Hohenfels or somewhere similar where a ruin would make sense? I can probably also just use the ruins and treat it kind of like a cutaway at the edge of the display.

Edit: Helps if I post the photos doesn’t it…

4 Likes

Its looking very good Don, and the slight change you have made to show a more brown tint have worked to my eye. Love the realistic the white cam painted by the crew.

Ref the buildings, I cant remember any ruins on any of the Trg areas we used like Soltau or the Luneburg extension. Its not so say they wouldnt of been there or even ruined buildings in other non training areas as dont forget, all the big exercises like Reforger, Iron Hammers, Div and even Bde Exercises were not constrained to just trg areas but they used the W German countryside as they saw fit. Have you looked at some of the MiniArt buildings ? They have some decent European/German style buildings and the prices are pretty reasonable ? Looking forward to see how you display it. Looks great at the moment :+1:

1 Like

Hi!
There are a couple of ruines in the training area of Augustdorf/Paderborn “Senne”. Mainly these are at “Haustenbeck”, however this area was only permitted for wheeled vehicles. There is a slight possibility that single ruins are aso in other places of this area where tanks can go, but not to my knowledge since I only crossed this training area on permitted civilian roads.

Andreas

1 Like

Thanks Johnny. Those were exactly what I was looking at. Given what’s available at a reasonable cost they’re really my only option. I suspect this is going to be a case of “close enough” and leaving a certain amount up to the imagination.

1 Like

This is fantastic. I love how you have gone through the trials and tribulations with this and handled it like a boss.
Outstanding work all around , all i can do is mirror what everyone else said.

2 Likes

Any new updates? Looking forward to seeing the Leopard C1 again.

Sadly no Jason.

She’s currently on the shelf as you see it above. I put it away trying to deciding on how I wanted to display this thing and then got distracted.

I found a shot from Germany in the late 70s/early 80s (I’ve seen it dated a few different ways) with this beast poking out from behind a house. Problem is the layout would end up being huge and then I’d have nowhere to keep it.

I think I’m just going to do a simple square with some mud/grass/snow that’ll fit better on my shelf.

If you have any suggestions for anything to add or tweak I’m all ears. I do know I need to find some chains for the smoke launchers and add some antenna.

Edit: I lied. I got my REFORGER decals on

3 Likes

Hi Don,

Looking good, the Reforger decals really add a pop of colour. If you are limited on space then just a simple base with perhaps an asphalt roadway, a metal guard rail, some touches of wet snow & grass along the edges of the roadway and a modern German road sign or two.

2 Likes

The Reforged C/S’s look great Don, I agree with Jason… All you need sometimes is a neat little base that it sits on to show it off…

There were/are a number of ruins in the Hohenfels training area. Not that it matters now if you go to a simple base, but still good to know.

Also, big exercises like REFORGER took place all over the German countryside, towns, and villages.

4 Likes

Love the reforger markings this is looking really cool

1 Like

Work continues!

Got some dio stuff from Krampus so I’ve started work on my road base.

AK Asphalt and snow textures at work along with some grassy stuff. Snow is a little fiddly to work with, it’s like marshmallow fluff. It’s all obviously still wet, so we’ll see what happens when it dries.

Still need to weather the road surface a little.

5 Likes

Done!

Many lessons learned, but overall I could not be happier with how this turned out.

Only thing missing are some appropriate Jerry cans… which I had… which have vanished.

5 Likes

That looks very good!! Like those big orange plates on it, and nice coloring, you don’t see this combination that often. Base has turned out very nice as well! Nice figure in it, are you still gonna add antennas?

I have antenna but the height of my shelves makes them impractical on some models. Depending on where this thing ends up living I may add them at a later date. Or maybe tied down? I’d need to play around a bit.

1 Like

Very nice indeed Don… And you should be rightly happy with it. You have done a cracking job with a great finish and a nice finished base to show it off on … :+1:

1 Like

That came excellent Don. Really great job. I just bought the AK asphalt , it looks great on your diorama; was it easy to use?