Military Cooks

This may seem a silly subject, but I’ve seen European military chef outfits for sale, consisting of check trousers and white double-breasted jacket. I cannot help think of how that contrasts with Cookie of “Beetle Bailey”, a comic strip that never updated since it began. How do military cooking staff really look? Do they also wear the tall hats?

1 Like

Which era, nationality and general location (base, field etc)?

I don’t think this ever became official issue…

$_1

3 Likes

Chefs whites or a variation exist but you’ll rarely see them outside of garrison and even then. If you’re slop jockeying in the field then it’s combats.

1 Like

I’ll ask my friend Robert what he wore when he cooked for the Royal Navy.

1 Like

One US Congressman did mention that he was merely an army cook but he did witness what was going on in the battlefield.

Actually, cooks, maintenance and medics are the “Kings of battle,” so it doesn’t matter what they wear as long as they do their jobs.
I participated in countless “field problems” as a medic so I can attest to that. You always wanted to be in good terms with the “spoon platoon” to get that extra K ration tray!

I used to watch that guys show for a while, seemed like a cool guy. Definitely in great shape for a chef/cook! Actually he had a great protein bar but can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Very cool, very down to earth. And yeah, he’s in pretty good shape. We’re about the same age, and have the same passion for food and health. The big difference being he can actually cook, whereas I may have only slept in a Holiday Inn Express a time or two.

He mentioned the protein bars last Friday. (A three day veteran owned business seminar) He was advised not to do them but did anyway. I forget how many he sells every year but the number was staggering.

Best thing about Robert Irvine - he knows how to give back.

He’s hung around many SF guys, but none of them ever offered to take him shooting. So that’s what we’ll be doing next time he’s here.

I was a Chef/cook in the South African Military. We wore White pants and shirts at some base Camp Kitchens but generally wore the ‘‘Browns’’ the same as the soldiers while on duty on base and off/at combat bases during our Border War in Namibia. It would be combat or soft skin boots, Fatigue pants with a brown T-Shirt & Brown apron. I know that on some of the U.K. Base kitchens the cooks wear white jackets and check pants. During combat operations in Afghanistan the cooks wore combat fatigues. Some of the private contractors would be in normal Chef wear. We did basic Military combat training before choosing to become chefs/cooks, therefore are foremost basic combat soldiers.

Lol I’ve stayed in a few holiday inn expresses myself. Good of you to take him to the range , no doubt he’ll enjoy it. He seems like a very genuine guy.
Definitely need to get my sorry ass back in the gym. It’s been 4-5 years. No excuses- I have a membership and two benches and Olympic weight sets sitting in my basement….

That’s very interesting that you served in the Border War in Namibia Herman. What year was it? That war ended in 91 didn’t it. I just started to read about some of the African Wars, not a subject we see at all in modeling really. I bought an Olifant from Hobby Boss last year and look forward to building it.

When I went over seas the Mess Sargent was barely good. His First Cook was far better. They all wore basic jungle fatigues. Early in my tour a certain General told Top to get rid of him! (for other reasons) He was replaced by a guy who was right on top of forty (grey hair and all). He was sent there to punish him for something he did in Europe. This guy could make powdered eggs taste good! Fed anybody that showed up, and never asked who or where you came from. Needless to say that after about six weeks he had a fan club. He even feed the chopper pilots when they brought ammo and food every day.

In Chu Lai there were exactly seven Air Force folks. Some were part of a crew for the one C130, and the rest ran a mess hall. Anybody could eat there as all you had to do was sign your name on his book when you came in. This guy was very good, and we ate there everytime we rolled thru Chu Lai. You saw more Marines in there than anybody else. He didn’t care where you belonged. Always had pineapple upside down cake!!
gary

2 Likes