Modelling knife to the heart of a scratch-builder/converter

Yep it’s A Thing alright, there are two types of people in this world – those that treat blood as just another fluid, and…us. I need a paper bag over my head whenever enduring a blood-test. (My eldest brother actually dropped-down fainted after a nasty gardening injury…I’m not quite that bad but not far off)

1 Like

@Evan & @Dioramartin
I belong to that other part of humanity.
Good to know where you belong so I don’t start
telling that kind of stories :wink:

4 Likes

How time flies Tim :wink: Those were the days…

H.P.

3 Likes

Oui Henri-Pierre (long-time-no-speak!) they certainly were the days but they’re not over, all that research particularly by you will ride again, I promise. :+1:

3 Likes

Ready when you are Tim :wink:

H.P.

3 Likes

Yes…yes…it lives. :raised_hands::raised_hands: Happy news to hear Tim.

2 Likes

Tear down the wall Tim!

2 Likes

Tim, look at the bright side, they probably were so impressed with your work they want to honor you with this kit, and you may have to update your address with them so they can send your royalty checks.

4 Likes

Truth be told, I’m selectively squeamish these days. I had a nasty mishap a few years back, and ever since, I do not care for the sight of my own blood. But I have no problem patching up someone else. As far as Doc talk goes: some of it I find fascinating, some of it bores me to tears, and the remainder usually crosses a line of “detail” that I prefer to stay on this side of.
My brother in law passes out a the sight of a needle, poor guy. My (adult) daughter on the other hand has no boundaries as far as macabre, or the like, topics of conversation go, or any other for that matter… - it’s an on going issue between us that pretty much always ends in laughter. (Everyone has their thresholds I suppose)
So, good uncle, thank you for refraining from telling “those” stories. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Damn right Fred, I don’t get outta bed for less than a 33% cut! But on reflection the boots’s probably going to be on the other foot i.e. how many mistakes did I make? I didn’t do the best job on the folded tilt, the kit’s should be detachable/re-usable so that was going to be a strong motivation to buy their kit (whenever it’s released) even before I had that light-bulb moment the other night. :thinking:

We must have been separated at birth, I’m fascinated by human biology as long as no red stuff’s involved. Ah needles – I had a CT heart scan last Friday, requiring being pumped full of iodine via cannula…paper bag came in handy for that too. I was already lying down so didn’t have to faint far. Seriously it’s utterly pathetic. I remember as a Uni student the transfusion service would hunt in packs looking for student donors. I’d confidently march right past them, saying “sorry guys I’d love to but I had jaundice in my teens so I’m banned”…to which they replied “Oh that’s no problem we can filter it these days”. :scream:

Same happened more recently here in Oz, bullet proof excuse this time, “I ate McDonalds in the UK during the 1980’s Mad Cow scare so sorry guys, I’m no good to you” - “Oh but that’s no problem now…” :scream:

As I said, utterly pathetic. What if I or a loved one ever needed a transfusion? “Sorry, we’d love to but you’ve never donated, so you’re on your own”

3 Likes

To quote the late, great Tony Hancock in his “Blood donor” episode, “A pint? That’s nearly an arm-full!” :grin:

3 Likes

C’mon man. You seriously surprised when this happened? You violated one of the cardinal rules here. If you scratchbuild it, it shall be released in plastic kit form.
Since the bone density of my skull approaches that of titanium strength it took me years to remember that lesson but I was hoping for inspiration garnered from your higher level of styrene situational awareness.
You let me down sir!
Seriously though, it is nice to see the historical record of your now epic and hopefully soon returned to build.
J

2 Likes

Ah, the never ending saga of the lonely scratch-builder.

As we said somewhere else on this site we could start a thread covering just the builds that got aborted due to manufactures coming out with the same model while we are still building.

The Builder’s Lament
I started a model . . .
Got it halfway to sweet . . .
Then along came a comp’ny . . .
Who now sells it complete!

6 Likes

Well Tim, we knew you’d snap back into it eventually. Ruck On, Brother!

Those kinds of “clamps” are mighty handy, got mine from my dentist along with quite a few scraping tools.

Lol, I use to give to the blood suckers in San Diego every 54 days, or whatever the time frame is, good way to keep the blood clean. If I didn’t show they would certainly call me when it was time. You really should reconsider. We know you’re tougher than you let on, Tim.

5 Likes

Whenever I get my blood tested (which is often), I tell the nurse to make sure and get a good price. $$$ There’s lots of expensive preservatives and additives in that stuff. :syringe::drop_of_blood:

—mike :grin:

2 Likes

To Funny!, thanks :laughing:

For what it’s worth, the instrument on the right appears to be a set of curved Kelly hemostatic forceps (so hemostats or forceps would be used interchangeably) and on the right it appears to be a set of Adson needle holders for what its worth.

3 Likes

Come to think of it, I have one of those around here somewhere. :thinking: And for the life of me, I can’t recall where I got it. Probably coughed it up post op. :hospital: :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

—mike

1 Like

All great comments guys…

Tom- I’m told Hancock’s sketch was/is a classic…strangely I’ve never watched it…

(Haemophobia people, if it doesn’t bother you imagine big spiders, snakes, rats, whatever turns you off crawling all over you in a confined space)

JR – well yeah I was surprised, if only because I can’t see that car being a volume seller?! But I get your drift & it sure is an example of Rule 1 of Scratch-building…only unusual because it took so long. Thanks mate, always nice to hear from you

Mike K - hah very nice, just wondering what tune that is…Back Stabbers by the O’Jays?

Ski – gee thanks for totally putting me off lunch imagining how those tools would fit in any mouth, and why! Kudos to you for being a donor though, you’re a better man than I. I’d seriously consider it if they could knock me out (no not like that) for the procedure but an anaesthetic kinda screws up the donation.

Mike F – indeed it makes gasoline look like a bargain. Re your last comment, Susie had a gall-bladder op years ago, half way out of theatre the nursing staff realised they were missing one of their instruments. You guessed it.

Matt F – thanks for the ID’s, I think Adson was the word I mis-remembered hearing.

:clinking_glasses:

3 Likes