MOLOTOW Liquid Chrome paint pen

Totally :coffin: :headstone:

1 Like

Yeah, mine worked great when new, now not so much. Will try some of the suggestions.

1 Like

Look on the bright side, all those guys who would’ve replied if only they could see the keyboard :sunglasses:

3 Likes

:sunglasses: :nerd_face: :sunglasses:

It’s possible that the MOLOTOW Liquid Chrome paint pens may have degraded over time due to factors such as exposure to light, heat, or air. These factors can cause the pigments in the paint to break down and change color.

One way to extend the lifespan of your paint pens is to store them in a cool, dark place when not in use, and make sure they are tightly capped to prevent air from getting in. It’s also a good idea to use them up as soon as possible after opening, rather than letting them sit around for an extended period of time.

If you have any concerns about the performance of your paint pens, you may want to contact MOLOTOW customer service to see if they have any advice or recommendations for how to get the most out of their product.

2 Likes

Just tried mine again after over 12 months

A few shakes and it came out fine. The 2 small lumps were bits of plastic on the card :+1:

4 Likes

I was very impressed with Molotov chrome, however they are really only good for touch-ups of previously chromed parts like the plated parts in car kits, etc. If you want to do larger pieces you will end up with what amounts to brush strokes. Revell produces a spray chrome paint that really looks like plated parts.
:smiley: :canada:

2 Likes

The paint flow is not a problem for my pens. They do not cure to chrome anymore. They cure to a shiny dark metallic gray

1 Like

This is exactly the function and performance of my pens brand new but after time :skull_and_crossbones:

Interesting. I bought 3 of them in different tip widths from a hobby shop that closed 4 years ago. All are still good. I keep them stored upright in a tall shot glass on my bench. I do have to shake them like a junky in need of fix and then pump the tip a few times to get them flowing each time.

2 Likes

Excellent for you. Did you use them 4 years ago and you used them again recently and they are still Chrome looking?

They work just as well now as they did 4 years ago. I don’t know if storing them upright has any impact on life span.

upright may be the answer. Writing tip up or down?

Interesting nobody’s reported using the entire contents of the pen, either all in one go or over time.

If it keeps chroming to the last drop all in one go, and also over time, that would suggest lesser mortals like me & Ko just didn’t pump’n’shake for long enough before each application and the chrome component got used up on the first few applications.

Except – when new it chromed perfectly over several applications over several weeks. But 3 years later, on the very next use – no chrome whatsoever. (edit) Hard to believe I just happened to use up the last bit of chrome back then.

1 Like

I store them tip up.

1 Like

Same problem here…i don’t think there is any way to bring them back.

Keep on pumping :rofl::rofl::grin:

1 Like

So. I have some resin engines in 1/24th and need some of the parts chromed. If not the pen, best options?

BMF or the Revell aerosol can stuff.

Mine have stayed good also John, and the most amazing aspect of them for me is that if you empty the ink into a jar and thin around 50/50 with Isopropyl Alcohol, they airbrush beautifully. Unlike Alclad though, they do take some time to dry off, perhaps a few hours, but next day are good for sure. I varnish them with Alclad Aqua gloss (airbrushed). This example is on the wheel and some other parts of a 1/32 Chevrolet I built for one of my grandchildren.

Imgur

Imgur

For me it meant I could strip the kit supplied chromed parts, properly clean them up and polish them, them apply the Molotov chrome by airbrush. Very pleased with the results.

5 Likes