Monogram 1/48 USMC AV-8A Harrier

This is Monogram’s 1979 issue 1/48 AV-8A/GR.1 Harrier kit. Of the Harriers in 1/48 available at that time (Tamiya & Airfix), this was the best kit out there of the subject. It’s only shortfall compared to the other two is in ordnance included. This kit has been in my stash for nearly 40 years, being one of my “original stash kits”. So it is time to change that.

I’ll be using this decal set for markings options

The cockpit has very fine raised details, and is pretty decent, considering it’s age. Back from when Monogram was setting the standard in 1/48 detail.

So far I have added the base colors using Humbrol enamels (go figure). Being that these were built in the UK, they were originally produced with BSC colors, which only changed when they were overhauled later in their service lives.

Aside from decals and ordnance, this will be an OOB build. The kit does not appear to need any major additions or replacement of details.

8 Likes

Nice start Carlos, will be nice watching this come together.

1 Like

This will be a fun build! I really like old Monogram 1/48 kits just because of the cockpits.
If you need any 1/48 ordnance PM me and I’ll see what I can dig up and send you for free.

1 Like

The kit is not bad, I think a seat and probe are possible the only needed items. Royale Resin tires don’t hurt either. Look forward to seeing your progress, I have a few in the stash.

1 Like

Johnny, Ezra, and Ryan, thanks for looking in and commenting.

Ezra, thank you for the kind offer, but I’m good on ordnance. I have several Hasegawa weapons sets, plus leftovers from multiple kits.

Ryan, yeah, I could add all sorts of AM stuff to the kit, but I’m gonna try to keep this as OOB as I can. But I will have to add the seat face curtain pull rings made from wire. Monogram missed that detail.

2 Likes

I hear yeah. I only mentioned the few things that one can “see” easily. I think for a aircraft like this a pit replacement isn’t worth it.

I have you decided on the markings?

1 Like

I’m trying to decide for either one onboard USS Franklin D Roosevelt in ‘76/‘77, or USS Nassau in ‘82, probably VMA-231 in either case.

2 Likes

I’m loving that winter camo scheme, I hope you go with that.

2 Likes

231, good choice with that sheet. :joy: I would have to look for it but I had a pic for one option with 4 napalm bombs.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see what you’ve got in store for us with this one.

1 Like

@Klaus-Adler, nope, no winter scheme for this one. After looking thru my paints this morning, I’m leaning more towards the 70’s full color markings and RAF colors, as I already have those colors on hand.

@Tank_1812 four napalm cans like this?

Nah, I’m actually thinking of some Rockeyes and drop tanks…

@mustang1989, Joe, good to see that you’re following here :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve got an oil wash done in the cockpit and have started on more detail painting…

I have some instrument decals on the way for the IP.

6 Likes

Noice, what decals are you using for the IP? Asking for a friend who might do the same.

1 Like

Thanks Ryan. I have some Airscale decals on order. They should be here in the next few days.

2 Likes

I’m still working in the cockpit here…

Finished up the ejection seat

and I started adding the Airscale instrument decals to the panel

The IP decals are going to be something of a slow process…

5 Likes

Beautiful ejection seat and instrument panel!..Excellent paint job!
Cheers,

1 Like

Thank you Joe. This one is not fighting me, so I’m happy.

1 Like

Well yesterday I finally finished up paint and decal work in the cockpit.

and for a little scale reference, the obligatory giant penny

now I just have the wheel wells and intake area to deal with before I can get the fuselage closed up.

6 Likes

Looking good with what you’ve done so far Carlos. It really does lift the cockpit with the details like you have there. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you Johnny. I just have the wheel wells and intake are to get painted up and installed, then I can get the fuselage closed up.

1 Like