Monogram 1987 Buick Grand National

I started this kit back on August 16th,

and I have made little progress. Life and all, you know how it is. Anyway, I saw Chris’ (hpiguy) review of this kit, and for some reason I had to have it. The only reason why I have any affinity for the Grand National is that while I was stationed at Ft. Knox, KY, in 1991, one of the guys in my unit wouldn’t stop talking about his Grand National. He loved that car, and it really is a cool car.

Here is where I am so far. I have completed the Buick turbocharged V6.

Jim

3 Likes

Great to see you got on board here Jim. Looking forward to more progress.

Cheers, D

Been working on the suspension & undercarriage stuff today. Hopefully will have some pics tomorrow.

Jim

Jim,
Glad that you cross posted your Buick Grand National build to the new site as well. Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

Well, the next update has arrived, and we have a rolling chassis. Ok, not really, I usually glue the wheels solid so my models don’t roll. The engine, wheels, & chassis are complete, and if it ever stops raining I’ll be able to work on the interior & body. Ah, Autumn in Central New York! At least it isn’t snowing yet.

Jim

Rolling chassis with 4-wheel park brakes!

Looking good Jim, nice metallics and neat detailing.

Cheers, D

great work Jim. Looks like you’ve given the tires a bit of sanding; that’s a nice detail.

Thanks, guys. Now, if it would ever stop raining I might be able to get the body & interior painted. And we’re expecting snow on Friday.

Happy Halloween! :jack_o_lantern:

Jim

Jim,
The complete rolling chassis really looks darn good.

I’m down state from you on Long Island, and we’ve basically had a drought the last month or so. Just one rain storm last week, and that’s been it.

Joel

Thanks, Joel.

Don’t worry, winter is coming & you’ll be getting plenty of Nor’Easters. :grin: :snowflake: :snowman:

Jim

Managed to get some more work done on the Grand National. Here is a shot of the completed dash:

Basic color is Model Masters Dark Ghost Grey with Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black details.

Here are a couple of shots of the almost completed interior:

The overall color is Dupli-Color Semi-Gloss Black with the silver/grey decals from the kit. I am still fighting with the decals to settle down over the molded details on the seats & side panels. The decals are quite thick, and even after 8 coats of decal setting solution, they are barely settled down. If I knew then what I know now, I would have just painted the silver/grey.

Jim

That dash board looks great Jim! :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s really strange to see a kit offer decals in order to represent the different colours of the seats and doors… If they don’t settle maybe you need to strip them off and go for paint :thinking:

Yeah, it is. Makes sense, when it’s an intricate pattern, you wouldn’t have a chance of replicating with paint.

Have the front seats been glued in?

1 Like

Thanks for the comments, guys. I appreciate it. Hopefully I’ll be able to paint the body soon.

Jesper, in that photo I do not believe I had glued the front seats in yet.

Jim

Well, I had a major setback with the Grand Nation al: I snapped the windshield in half. If I can’t fin d a replacement, I’ll have to go to Revell on bended knee to ask kindly for a new windshield. And it was coming along so nicely, too.

Jim

1 Like

Jim
The interior is coming along quite nicely. As for the the kit decals for the seats fighting you every step of the way, I’d try Solvaset as it will make just about every decal conform to the surface the decal is on. Just let it soak till it’s almost dry, then using a Q tip carefully work the decal to perfection.

As for Revell replacing the windshield, I sure hope that they feel the holiday spirit and send you one sooner then later.

Joel

Thanks., Joel. I was using MicroSol on the decals, but I’ll give Solvaset a try.

I’m just hoping that the shipping from Germany doesn’t coast more that a kit!

Jim

Jim, that’s too bad about the wind shield.

I’ve had 2 types of experiences with Revell: firstly they were super helpful and sent out spares at no cost; second time, the kit was out of production, and so even though they wanted to, they couldn’t help.

:crossed_fingers: It’s still in production…

The last two steps of this build have been a real nightmare! In the process of installing the interior & chassis I have knocked off the right mirror, popped out the windshield (twice), and knocked out the left turn signal. Well, enough complaining. Here is the completed engine compartment:

I have new respect for the mechanics that work on modern cars. There is just no room on the engine compartment anymore.

Once I fix the paint runs on the hood & get the decals on, I’ll call this one done.

Jim

1 Like

Jim, Revell came through with a new windshield?