Monogram/Hasegawa 1/25 Porsche 904

Hi all my boss bought this for me to do

But he wants it done like the one in the workshop.

3 Likes

Did a colour test (seems OK) got some sink marks to fix.

Here’s what’s in the box

2 Likes

Ken,
Talk about a Oldie. That kit has to date way back to the late 1960s. It’s pretty odd to see a Monogram kit in 1/24 scale.

looking forward to seeing how your build progresses.

joel

Hi all added some of the masking for the white stripe.

The engine in the kit is the 4 cam engine the one in the workshop is the 904/6 which is what I’m supposed to be basing this on

I don’t think I can modify the 4 cam engine into a 6 cylinder boxer engine so I suppose I will have to try scratch building one :thinking: not sure my skills are up to that but we will see, and there I was thinking this would be an easy build:banghead:

Ken,
Maybe your boss will OK the 4 cyl engine since that’s the only one in the box. Scratching out an engine/transaxle, and everything else even using the parts from the kit engine isn’t going to be an easy task for sure.

joel

Hi all sorry for the lack of posts but life gets in the way sometimes, it’s been quite hectic of late and now swmbo wanted the hot tub back out which required fixing the gazebo, which I started thursday and partially tore my bicep in the process.

What that means is if the job requires me lifting my arm at more than waist hight it is absolute agony so things may still be slow.

Anyway I made a start on scratch building the flat six engine for this, it’s very crude but painting can help disguise a lot (hopefully)

1 Like

I think that was originally an Aurora kit from the sixties!

Ken,
Now that’s an impressive start for sure. Doesn’t look crude at all, just it’s in the basic build stage.

More work on the 904

2 Likes

Ken,
Wow!! You really nailed that Red paint job.

joel

1 Like

Ken, I’m with Joel. That red finish looks great! Keep those updates rolling in mate, love your work!

Cheers, D

Hi all more work scratch building the 6 cylinder engine (sorry its not that great , wish I was working on 1/8) also added some pics of the 4cylinder engine that comes with the kit my pathetic attempt at depicting the one we have in the workshop doesn’t do it justice but it’s the best my meager abilities can do.

Ken,
Don’t be so hard on yourself. the start of the detailing of the engine may look a little rough, but all conversions do. Once there’s primer on, I’m sure that it will look way better.

I can visualize the reshaping of the fan housing to more closely match what the Boys from Porsche designed. Seems to me that so far it’s shaping up quite nicely.

joel

Beautiful build so far Ken. I’m with Joel. The more stuff you throw on that engine the better it’ll look.

OK so I tested the scratch build 6 cylinder engine for the 904 only to find it didn’t fit, then I suddenly realised why, I was copying a 1/24 engine and of course the 904 is 1/25. What sort of idiot does that. So back to the drawing board (still the 4 cam engine that comes with the kit fits ok)

Ken,
So close, yet so far. That expression sure hold water here. Are you going to try and scratch out another engine or go with the kit one and modify it?

joel

Still undecided, I’m thinking altering what ive got (it actually shouldn’t be too hard)

Ken ,
An option that I didn’t think of. But even if you get the engine/trans to fit, everything else will be out of scale.

joel

If I go that route mate I will make sure the rest is reduced by the same amount.