Mud Movers Campaign

Here is a short video on why I chose the Skyraider. What type rockets and pods are being used in the opening clip? It is hard to believe how much damage one of these planes can cause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv_T4Zw3-8s

Friends! I’m in! And it is NOT a Typhoon, I’ve found something a lot more esoteric in the stash :slight_smile:!

It’s a Bréguet 693! Kind of like a pocket-size Mosquito that was fairly successful and also has a quite modern look about it!

:raising_hand_man:

Magnus

1 Like

Hi Greg, I’m not sure but I think that aren’t rockets, but they are SUU-14A dispensers.
The SUU-14A/A Dispenser consisted of six metal tubes strapped together. Each of the tubes were filled with submunitions. The submunitions would be ejected out the rear of the tubes while flying over the target area. A color coded stripe just behind the forward end cap would indicate the type of submunition being carried in the dispenser. The yellow stripe on this dispenser indicates that it is carrying CBU-14 or CBU-25 Bomblets.
Some of the submunitions used with this dispenser are described below.

Smoke Bomblet | Ordnance: BLU-17/B
Function like an M-15 Smoke Grenade.
Delay Fired.
Chemical Agent: White Phosphorus.
Painted Light Green.
One CBU-22A/A Cluster Bomb consisted of 72 BLU-17/B
Bomblets in an SUU-14A/A Dispenser.

Pineapple Bomblet | Ordnance: BLU-3/B
Drag Vane Stabilized.
Impact Fired.
Explosive: RDX.
Anti-Personnel.
Fragmentation.
Painted Bright Yellow with Gold Anodized end cap.

“Jungle” Bomblet" | Ordnance: BLU-24/B
Fin Stabilized.
Spin Armed.
Spin Delay Fired.
Explosive: Cyclotol.
Anti-Personnel.
Fragmentation.

“Jungle / All Terrain” Bomblet | Ordnance: BLU-24C/B
Fin Stabilized.
Spin Armed.
Spin Delay Fired, or when bomb impacts water or mud.
Explosive: Cyclotol.
Anti-Personnel.
Anti-Material.
Fragmentation.

“Gravel” Minelet | Ordnances: XM22, XM27, XM41, XM41E1, XM45E1, XM65, XM40E5, XM44
Explosive: RDX / Lead(II) azide.
Anti-Personnel.
The mines consisted of a small green or brown camouflage fabric pouch filled with explosive and 30 grams of coarse ground glass between two sheets of plastic.

To allow them to be handled and dropped from the air, the mines were stored soaked in Freon 113. Once released from their container, the Freon would evaporate in between 3 and 8 minutes, thereby arming the mines. No fuse was required because the explosive became shock-sensitive when dry.
The minelets came in quadrant, square, and rectangular shapes and in various sizes. The XM40E5 and XM44’s did not carry an explosive charge. They were designed to provide an audible warning of enemy forces entering an area that could be detected from a distance by acoustical sensors.

Hope this helps! :grin:

2 Likes

Wow, much different than the CBU’s of desert storm.
If you saw the first part with the rockets firing, what type of rocket/ launcher were those?

1 Like

A little progress to report, I have installed the main undercarriage wheel well parts and started on the main wings. Typical short-run issues here with no locating pins, and flat mating surfaces that aren’t flat and don’t mate!

I have cleaned up the joins as much as possible without affecting the actual overall shape, the rest of the clean-up will need to be done with sprue-goo and manual labour!

Cheers, D

Here’s my opening pic of my SAAF F-51 from last week and a few close ups of the cockpit.

2 Likes

Great looking cockpit Coby! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build come together! Does anyone know if a Panavia Tornado be acceptable to build in this campaign?

2 Likes

Yes Ezra it is. It has been used as ground attack in the Gulf and Afghan.

2 Likes

Ok people, here’s my build the Academy 1/144 Panavia tornado. Its a tiny little kit but hopefully it will be somewhat presentable when done. I wanted to add the underwing tanks you see on most tornados so I took some spare 1/72 corsair fuel tanks and shaped them to look a bit more like the Tornados tanks. They may be a bit over sized but I can live with it. right now im in the prosses of getting rid off the big seam that runs down the nose.

1 Like

My order came in yesterday! Game on.

3 Likes

I wonder which of my armor skills should I use first. Chipping, mud, bent /missing fenders, impact gouges,rust? Are there any multi piecs links involved here? I didn’t see any tow cables at first look through. Anything in a catagory of mud movers ought to have tow cables somewhere. Where do you store the cooler? I think I am going to have to order a PE bussel rack for all the gear and alice packs. Something off a T-69 would probably be in order. Probably will have to scratch build a .50 cal box shitter too. Maybe I can strap some of the gear under the wing some how. Does the tarp and camo net ride onboard or does it go in the log train?
:tanks:

3 Likes

Well Greg, you picked a Spad, there’s room for all of that stuff on one of the Air Force versions. But for a porcelain conventicle you’ll need to do a Navy one. :wave:

Humm, Navy- porcelain, I see what you mean.

2 Likes

Greg you need to build yours with that… :wink:

Greg,
If you did want to do the Navy bombing the shite out of them bird, I have some info on what you would need to get / do as I have her in the stash for a future build.
Mike

Well this looks like it should be a bunch of fun! I’ve never worked with this much resin before, just a couple of rudder or elevator upgrades.

Cheers, D

2 Likes

@AussieReg That’s some beautiful detail! Not to spoil your joy but check that the engine fits inside the cowling before painting it!

:raising_hand_man:

Magnus

Thanks for the warning Magnus, a couple of people have mentioned this to me on other forums as well. I might need to shim out the cowl to get a neat fit, or trim back the engine mounting plate.

I will definitely report back as this moves forward.

Cheers, D

A little progress to report on the Boomerang.

Cockpit framework, firewall and floor assembled. Not much in the way of locating tabs or pins, but a relatively painless operation!

Wing leading edges cleaned up.

Some more work to do to get the trailing edges to where I’m happy, but I’m happy with the results so far.

Cheers, D

2 Likes