Muzzle brake carbon

Since math is my challenge I’ve inclined myself to better grammar, “I seen” is what drives me nuts, I see, I saw, I have seen. Until I joined KM I didn’t know there are those that struggle with “then” or “than”. Gimme a brake right:smile:

Cajun :crocodile:

2 Likes

Thank you for all the responses, and grammar correction, i should hav known better ive cleaned enough of them takes days to get the black stains off your hands.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the heat be most pronounced at the breach end of the barrel?

Me gets the feeling that modelers who want to be “realistic” have latched on to this
and are trying to come up with “alternative facts” to justify their predeliction for painting
barrel ends this way.
As I say (well, write) in many other contexts: Do what you like, it’s your model.
Be prepared to back it up with photos if displaying it to a wider audience (contests, internet, whatever).

2 Likes

How about a 17th or 18th muzzle loading cannon,im thinking they might be sooted??

So prevalent is this belief, museum personnel at Koblenz intentionally painted their Jagdpanther “Ute” to depict this phenomenon.

Having viewed this vehicle in person, I can attest that it was painted this way, not the result of simulated fire or other causes.

1 Like

Nobody is going to make me believe that the gas jet exiting that barrel
is going to swing around, curl up around the barrel and get cosy with it

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Painting soot deposits on/around exhausts. How to do it

As a matter of fact, the entire barrel would be hotter than the muzzle brake. The friction of a projectile traveling down the barrel creates incredible amount of heat. There is no friction on the muzzle brake. Additionally, it has nice big cooling vents to help it cool more quickly than the barrel.

I offer this as proof. The compensator on my pistol acts very much like a muzzle break. I can grab it after firing several rounds through my Sig, but I don’t dare touch the barrel.
I’ve got my own fact base thoughts on around the muzzle, but I’m driving right now. But please continue. I need some entertainment for the next five hours.

Apologies for recycling the photo I’ve already used. but it’s easier to add it from my phone than It is to fumble around and take pictures of my gun while I’m driving.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Painting soot deposits on/around exhausts. How to do it?

3 minutes 11 seconds worth of entertainment
Starts getting hot after 30-32 seconds of firing but
the muzzle brake (or whatever it is up front) seems to stay “cool”

From the video description:
"1500+ tracers fired through this M60 gets the barrel glowing red hot and starts a fire under the shroud!

The barrel on this M60 was nearing the end of it’s serviceable life and the owner decided to finish it off in “a blaze of glory.” The ammunition used were reloads. Hope you enjoy watching it!"

1 Like

It’s always nice to know that YouTube has my back.:joy:

1 Like

95% garbage but the rest is pure gold
:grin:

1 Like

That just got me thinking, but dont the flash suppressors of the m60 ,249 ,m16sss amass a good carbon base around the various shapes of vents? And in minimal amount follow the flow of the vent along the barrel?

Pushing gas flow back along the barrel requires a muzzle brake with baffles that turn the gas jet 180 degrees backward.
NOT pleasant for the gunners!
Anything involved in the actual flow of gas will collect ugly deposits.
I have no expertise on the M60 but the gas-operated Ksp m/58 (Belgian FN MAG, shot it once, cleaned it once)
collects quite a lot of crud inside but very little on the outside.

A possible experiment:
Take the muzzle brake from a tank or artillery kit,
hold it in front of the airbrush and shoot black paint
using maximal air pressure and low paint mix and
check the results.

Hot out of the oven. An original Agfacolor slide of a 17cm Kanone 18 in DAK usage. This beast has to win some kind of award for dirtiest artillery piece ever. Originally painted in Dunkelgrau, it was given a rather thorough repaint, (or is it applied mud?) which has largely worn away. What I find interesting is the spotty discoloration of the still smoking casing and the black streaks running down the breechblock. This is one of those subjects that if you arrived at a show with a model looking like this, the judges would trash you for it being unrealistically weathered, yet here it is…

3 Likes

Ive kind of done that on several real gun/howitzer during ceremonial salutes with black powder and what a mess, but does show blow back streaks. Same from regular cordite rounds just amplified.

so, urr is out of the question?

Only for You, being one of our most valued contributors,
I present the:
------------------ Irish Medical Dictionary ------------------

ARTERY - - - - - - - - - The Study of Paintings
BACTERIA - - - - - - - Back Door of a Cafeteria
BARIUM - - - - What Doctors Do When Patients Die
BOWEL - - - - - A Letter Like A. E. I. 0 or U.
CAESARIAN SECTION - - - A Neighbourhood in Rome
CAT SCAN - - - - - - - - - Searching for Kitty
CAUTERISE - - — - - Made Eye-Contact With Her
COMA - - - - - - - - - - - - A Punctuation Mark
D & C - - - - - - - - - - - Where Washington Is
DILATE - - - - - - - - - - - - - To Live Longer
ENEMA - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Not A Friend
FESTER - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Quicker
FIBULA - - - - - - - - - - - - - - A Small Lie
GENITAL - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Not A Jew
G. I. SERIES - - - - - - - - A Soldier Ballgame
HANGNAIL - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Coat Hook
IMPOTENT - - - - - - Distinguished, Well-Known
LABOUR PAIN - - - - - - - Getting Hurt At Work
MEDICAL STAFF - - - - - - - - - - Doctors Cane
MORBID - - - - - - - - — - - - A Higher Offer
NITRATES - - - - - - - - Cheaper Than Day Rates
NODE - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Was Aware Of
OUTPATIENT - - - - - - A Person Who Has Fainted
PAP SMEAR - - - - - - - - - - A Fatherhood Test
PELVIS - - - - - - - - - - - A Cousin To Elvis
RECOVERY ROOM - - - - - Place To Do Upholstery
RECTUM - - - - - - - - - Bloody Near Killed Them
SECRETION - - - - - - - - - - Hiding Something
SEIZURE - - - - - - - - - - - - - Roman Emperor
TABLET - - - - - - - - - - - - - A Small Table
TERMINAL ILLNESS - - Getting Sick At The Airport
TUMOUR - - - - - - - - - - - - - More Than One
URINE - - - - - - - - - Opposite Of Youre Out
VARICOSE - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Nearby
VEIN - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Conceited

10 Likes

As far as it bring uniform, I’d say look under the heat shields of Harley exhaust pipes where they bolt up to the jugs. Depending on the quality of the finish and the manufacturer most show a wide range of discoloration just along the top 9 inches which why most manufacturers include a clamp style chrome trim piece that covers that area. The heat discoloration varies on chrome is blue/purplish mix of varying ‘depth’ I guess you could call it, some areas lighter than the next w only an inch or two of separation.

Of course I’ve noticed the muzzle end deposits on my firearms ranges greatly but the common factor seems to cheap ammo burns dirtier, nicer quality seems to leave less residue. One could logical guess, especially on late WW2 German guns that as manufacturing standards were impacted by the Allied bombing, that the loads in the shells were a bit dirtier and less refined and lower quality hence the soot and powder build up was more noticeable.

No muzzle break

4 Likes