New to modelling.. Any suggestions for building my T.72 (Tamiya)

I’m a newbie to this so I’d just wanted some suggestions to building a T.72 , (The Tamiya one)

As newbie, I would say build it just as the instructions say and have fun. Focus on making parts flush and no finger prints in the glue.

2 Likes

The #1 suggestion I’ve seen is that the kit can only be accurately modeled using the East German markings. The reason being is that the tank Tamiya studied, & what they based the molds on, was an East German hybrid machine. IIRC it has the hull of a T-72M1, but the turret of a T-72. If that is something important to you.

Otherwise a nice kit that builds up well, & looks the part afterwards. I built one several years ago, & enjoyed the experience.

Damon.

I’m just worried I’ll mess up the model

Alright , thanks

Trim the parts where they attached to the sprue. Test fit everything to be sure the parts all fit, and that you are putting them in the correct place. Follow the directions, Tamiya kits are very good for that. And have fun!
Ken

1 Like

Alright , Thanks

I’ll ask more questions once I built with my dad :slight_smile:

Ryan and the others sum it up pretty well…use it as the beginning of a learning curve and enjoy building it…

Alright , btw cool empire picture

Use side cutters, fine needle files and fine sandpaper glued to wooden sticks
instead of carving with a sharp knife. Good enough side cutters can be had for a few
dollars, they won’t be much good for cutting wires but they’re fine for plastics. Cut wide of the part
and file/sand down to a smooth surface.

My modelling became a lot easier and the skin on my fingers had an easier life
when I stopped using knives.

Don’t rush it. Test fit until everything fits the way it should BEFORE adding any glue.
Use solvents, Tamiya Extra Thin or similar, since this reduces the risk of glue smears.
If you DO get glue in the wrong place: Let it dry/harden and then carefully sand it off.
Sandpaper glued to the end of wooden sticks can be used to get into hard to reach areas.

Alright thanks

I’m just worried I’ll mess up the model

You probably will. That’s ok. Just roll with it. This hobby has a learning curve to it and striving for perfection right out of the gate, while admirable, is futile and will just lead to frustration and disappointment.

Other than beinf patient with test fits and clean up, I’d say being mindful of glue usage is critical. If you’re not already aware, model glue isn’t glue at all, it’s a chemical cement that binds plastic by melting the surfaces of parts together. You’re essentially welding.

Excess glue will damage surfaces. You’re better off letting any runs dry as they are and sanding them later on rather than trying to wipe up the mess when wet. Also, watch where you’re placing your fingers when holding parts together or you’ll end up with finger prints (every single model I’ve ever built has at least one, so don’t sweat it).

1 Like

As @Canmedic said you might mess it up. All part of the process. We all have done and we still do, hopefully not in the same way and not a frequently anymore. So if it does happen welcome to the club. Depending on the issue, it can be recoverable and replacements can be had. If nothing else, that kit becomes a paint barn. Modelers hardly throw anything away as it can typically be reused for something else.

1 Like

First rule of any hobby-have fun doing it. You can learn a lot form the folks here but just remember many/most of them have been doing this for the better part of their lives. For now focus on some basic skills as the others have mentioned and don’t get too discouraged if you “mess up.” Even when you mess up you learn something new. Have fun and good luck.

1 Like