North Vietnamese armour question

Hi folks,

I’m reading SOG KONTUM an i came across a chapter dealing with the attack on Ben Het and it cites the north vietnamese used PT-76 light tanks and BMP-40 armoured personnel carriers…i can’t find any reference to a BMP-40 but i know they used BTR-40’s

is it just a case of miss identification?

1 Like

I would assume so. Is this a book written for those with an interest in armoured vehicles, or in the battles fought in the war? In the former it would be an odd mistake, in the latter I would kind of expect to see at least one like this :wink:

1 Like

Probably

1 Like

Captured NVA PT-76 during the battle of Lam Son 719 in 1971.

Another PT-76 captured by ARVN forces.

On display at the War Remnants Museum in HCMC.

4 Likes

yeah the book has been written by American special forces troops that crossed the border into laos so I’m guessing it’s miss identification.

thanks for the help guys.

Klaus

1 Like

Great book. I interviewed the author here
http://www.modernforces.com/veteran_joe_parnar.htm

Lots of reference to armour in SOG history books. One recounts a story where MACV in Saigin didnt believe the storys of armour being spotted on the Ho Chi Minh trail so they brought back a track link and left on the head honchos desk

2 Likes

Oh my God; that reminds me of this superb story from WW2. Out in the Far East a certain British Brigadier didn’t believe one of his COs when he reported that the Japanese forces were far closer than thought. In fact, the Brigadier berated the Lieutenant Colonel for such fantasy.

The CO (of a Gurkha battalion) promptly tasked his patrols that same night; he returned the following day and emptied a sandbag containing 3 x Japanese heads on to the Brigadier’s desk.

5 Likes

Gurkhas gets the job done …

1 Like

Until quite recently too Robin!

Gurkha who beheaded Taliban soldier in Afghanistan battle cleared to return to duty | Daily Mail Online

(From one of our, ahem, more colourful tabloids)

3 Likes

The first Gurkha story reminded me of this: Bringing back the heads

1 Like

Farkin awesome.
“misunderstanding over the need for DNA evidence of the kill”
:+1: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I assume they returned the head, don’t want another incident like this

1 Like

I just feel sorry for the poor Clerk who had to empty the Brigadier’s “Out” tray(!)

3 Likes

Going completely off track … When I was in Zimbabwe on Operation Raleigh, our houseman/gardener/driver (Albert- about 5.2, wiry little guy ) was an ex tracker for the Selous Scouts during the war … he was paid on the headcount he made - quite literally …he would prove that by taking Polaroids of him holding a severed head and showing the images to his paystaff when back from Ops … He had some proper hair curling stories …

5 Likes

Without turning this into a headcount (geddit?) just for fun my next door neighbour is an ex Selous Scout.

In fact there’s quite a few Rhodies in this part of Wiltshire; perhaps they got confused with “Salisbury” or that may even have been the attraction?

3 Likes

there was a similar story regarding chinese advisors and some heads were collected and dumped on some high ranking officers desk during some high level meeting in Saigon.

@Paul_Bishop regarding Joe Parnar, he has an interesting story about meeting some russian kid who told him his dad was a Russian adviser training the Vietnamese anti aircraft gun crews in laos!

4 Likes

From what I have read there were a lot of Russians (and Cubans) in Vietnam advising. I have read resporst of radio intercepts all in Russian

2 Likes

JAPANESE ARE WHERE! My Dad was an RAF ground radio operator serving in India however he once spoke of this incident. He was deployed at short notice forward to an RAF tactical HQ in Burma in response to a Japanese advance. He was on duty in the radio truck and finally finished sending a long encoded message in morse. He opened the door of the radio shack which was locked from the inside for a smoke. Someone was sitting on the steps outside and the conversation went something like “Thank god your finished, lets go” Dad “Whats going on” Reply “Everyone else has left, lets go” Dad “Why” Reply “The Japs are coming” The individual then explained the rest of the HQ had pulled back quite a while ago and it was just Dad in the radio truck and this guy, the generator truck driver left. There was apparently no one between them and the Japs. “Hurry up lets go”. Dad “Whos driving this truck, we can’t leave it” Reply “You are” Dad “But I can’t drive” Reply “Sure you can its just a big truck” Dad “No I have no idea how to drive anything” A quick how to drive discussion occurred and after the big three axle truck was started for him off they went with lots of graunched gear changes and screaming in the wrong gear. He lived to tell the story. I can’t vouch if the trucks gearbox or clutch survived. True story :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Lynne Black, MACV-SOG 1-0 from CCN had a radio conversation with one of these cuban advisers using his PRC-25 whilst on a mission in the DMZ.

The conversation became very colour from Lynne Black, which he cast certain aspersions on the cuban advisers mother’s sexual activities and that if she was any good he would have had an easy assignment in Berlin instead of vietnam.

2 Likes

Just goes to show the Ghurkas really know how to get ahead of their enemies.

4 Likes