Nothing special - Tamiyas old AAV7A1

As the heading says, nothing special… I´m basically building old kits from the stash. I think I bought this one in the mid-90ties. As most of my builds this will be some sort of diorama. Since the kit comes with decals from Desert Storm it will be from that era. I have no idea yet what it will be, but looking forward to paint some chocolate chips cam again.
It is a big vehicle and the build was straight forward. It needs a bit of filler but the fit is good in general. I guess this is one of those builds where the road is made as I walk…


19 Likes

I have one from a long abandoned project and use the hull as my paint mule.

You could do something this.
https://nara.getarchive.net/media/marines-man-an-aavp-7-assault-amphibian-vehicle-in-the-desert-during-operation-6342ad

Or put it in some water.

4 Likes

Yep, I found that picture as well, but it seems to have the older style turret. Closest thing I have found so far is the picture below and that camo is just ugly…


5 Likes

I have one of those in my shelf of doom; I startedit, but with multiple projects on the shelf, it’s hard to try and get one going.

Still a WIP… Slowly chugging along.

5 Likes

Looks like standard merdc with the green over painted with sand color.

1 Like

US Army tanks? :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah! Getty Images… :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah, journalists are not so good at vehicle identification.

2 Likes

And, every fixed-wing combat aircraft is a 'fighter jet"

4 Likes

Which is how MERDC worked. You keep the same pattern, but adjust or substitute different colors as needed. Some units in Germany would use the light green “spring verdant” pattern for the spring and summer, then replace the light green with brown in the fall for the “winter verdant.” Always seemed like way too much work for me.
Ken

2 Likes

I dropped the idea of painting the AAV in MERDC colors and will go for desert sand to match the decals in the kit. I have primed and sprayed the base color and while waiting for the paint to dry I made some marines from Dragon and spare parts.

3 Likes

I like your painting handles.

3 Likes

Basic paint and tracks done. I used Hataka CO90 Sand (FS33531) which is an excellent laquer paint. Tracks got primed in black and got a coat of AmmoMig gun metal. Then the track pads were painted NATO black and I finished them off with metallic and rust pigments. It was straight forward and done in a couple of hours. Then I prepared the stowage. It took way longer than the paint job. In the picture you see about half the crap I´m going to cover the Tuna Boat in…



7 Likes

Looking really good. All that gear should load it up nicely.

2 Likes

So a bit of work done on a Sunday evening. From pictures I have seen AAVs with a tire and rope as fenders. I want to replicate that, so I used a Humvee spare and som string. The string might be a tad to thick but I think I will get away with it… (fingers crossed)

I also test fitted some stowage, but I´m not happy with how it turned out. However, I got an idea how to make it look better, but that will be for a future update :wink:


6 Likes

I have re-arranged the stowage a bit and I´m more happy with how it looks now. Dont mind the colors, there is plenty of work left to be done. And there is still stowage to be added. I´m going for that full «gypsie» look…




5 Likes

This amphib is a perfect billboard for your favorite camo scheme, anxious to see what you decide on.

Cajun :crocodile:

2 Likes

I have added all the stowage and made straps where needed. Now it is a lot of painting left.


5 Likes

Some more painting and decals. I guess I´m about 60% done.


6 Likes