OMG 2014 (Operation Market-Garden), 19/20-09-2014, The Netherlands

To commemorate the 70 anniversary of Operation Market-Garden (aka the Battle for Arnhem) a large event took place, consisting of several parts: a landing on the heath outside Ede, river crossings across the Waal near Nijmegen, and a large column of vehicles, starting at the Belgian border, staying at Veghel and ending at Arnhem. I was there at the latter part on Friday at the base camp, and saw them leaving the next Saturday morning (early). The photo’s were taken at the camp and on the route.

11 Likes

Spectacular display, Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

It has been a pleasure. A very time consuming one, but a pleasure nevertheless!

Thank you for that! :star_struck:

You’re welcome… It is always good to see that so many people put all their effort and spare time in to the conservation of these vehicles, which by and large are 70 odd years old!

2 Likes

My experience during the three years I spent in the Netherlands was that events such as these were at least as much about honoring the people who operated the vehicles as it was about the equipment itself. The Dutch people were unabashed in their enthusiasm for showing their unwavering appreciation for the US and British troops who liberated them from German occupation. It was truly heartwarming. Thank you to all of you from ‘the lowlands’ who keep that spirit of honor and gratitude alive.

:beer:

2 Likes

The Dutch feeling of grattitude indeed is still great, specially to the men who took part in the liberation themselves. Every year, on the 5th of May the liberation is celebrated all over the country, while on the 4th of May (my birthday), we commemorate the fallen from ww2 and beyond.

1 Like

During my tour I was responsible for coordinating US military support for the Memorial Day remembrance at Margraten Cemetery, the Christmas Eve ceremony at DeSchark Cave in Maastricht, and quite a few Liberation Day parades so I got to see first-hand just how strong that feeling is.

:beer:

2 Likes