Online resources for modelling exact aircraft

Hi all, in the early planning steps of a ongoing project.

Essentially looking to reproduce certain exact aircraft, so looking for any suggestions for online resources where I can find information on specific planes according to squadron, aircraft registration number, associated squadron code, date/time, location etc.

I have access to aircraft type, registration model, squadron, location and date/time info. Ideally looking for each specific planes camoflage schemes to reproduce if possible, or at least in the general area for those types flown by a squadron at the time.

All aircraft between 1941 and 1979. Predominantly RAF fighters and trainers, but also includes the odd transport, bomber and helicopter.

Also after any similar information on specifically the F86 (D) flown by 60th and 337th Interceptor Squadrons, Massachusetts between1954-56.

Any help/pointers appreciated.

I’d just start Googling. And keep at it. You really have to hunt.
Google the name of the aircraft but also Google the name of the squadron.
There are sites which collect and post photographs of particular types of aircraft.
There are sites and chat groups by former squadron personnel.
You can contact museums. For your F-86 why not just ask the USAF Museum? For your RAF aircraft ask the RAF Museum. If they don’t have anything then will surely share some tips and point you in the right direction.

Good luck! And good hunting!

Marc

1 Like

You could also look at the Famous Aircraft of the World series. It’s in Japanese, however, some of the information is very good for determining schemes.

Also, look at the website Library Genesis, as it has many out of print resources.

Hope that helps.

Dave

1 Like

Thanks both

Hadn’t even thought to consider museums. So obvious now I think about it. Case of can’t see the wood for the trees.

Found rafweb.org which is some help albeit some information behind a small subscription. Will check out those other sites as well.