Operation "Epsom" details

Thanks Timbo, nice comments.
Tiny does have kind of a bubble butt but hey…too much Haggis?
J

Next conversion underway in the initial stages. The last one utilized the armature method for one half the figure. This one goes back to my usual technique of just modifying the plastic.
I am using the tried and true Tamiya MG gunner. I love this set and have used it a lot. I need a guy wearing the italian cammo coveralls so the smock part has to be removed. I am also using the new RoyalModels boots set and have chosen a good old Hornet head with LiveResin helmet.
The first pic is the stock fig right from the box tacked together. The second pic mods have begun.

Work continues.
J

13 Likes

Always nice to see how your figures evolve from a basic stock figure to a unique super detailed one Jerry, an inspirational tutorial to lesser modelling mortals such as myself, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

1 Like

Keep rolling that beautiful footage . it amazes how much difference those couple mods have made already.

Nice work on the mg dude so far JR , lots of detail potential incoming !!

I got to fire the modern version of this on 2002 and I would imagine he’d really have to have a tight grip to control it!
Get some!

Thanks man. I always wonder if anyone really wants to see this kind of mod. work. I don’t wanna wear out my welcome so to speak,
J

1 Like

Thanks Chris, nice comments!
J

Yes there is! Stay tuned. I bought some new toys recently.
J

Yes,this was not a frequently used firing position but it was taught in the training manuals and films. It was supposed to be used for firing while advancing.
The most common method though was being in the prone position and firing while the riflemen advanced.
J

1 Like

The man would have to be quite strong to control it.

For sure. But wasn’t really meant to be “aimed” fire but rather suppressive fire, as is most infantry fire after all.
“Spray and pray” and then “shoot and scoot”.
J

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it too much Jerry; your conversion work has given me the confidence to try out my own. Whilst they don’t match yours in detail or even ability, that is besides the point - the fact is it’s your stuff that inspires.

Keep at it.

1 Like

There’s always this option:
waffen ss machine gun no2 with gun across shoulders - Bing images
I reckon this has more to do with propaganda than real action, although I’ve seen footage of it being done. I’ve heard that a well trained MG42 gunner could limit bursts to around 6-8 rounds. This would take some doing I think.

Thanks for the kudos buddy!
J

Yeah I think the shoulder method like that would render the asst gunner deaf and burn the hell out his shoulder but hey, it looks good for the folks back home right?
I qualified with all the Infantry weapons in the modern Bundeswehr and the modern version of the MG42 is much the same as the older version. You have to have split second control of the bursts because of the still high rate of fire. You are only issued so many rounds on the belt but have to hit a certain amount of targets to qualify. It is a real test of gunnery skills believe me. A quick squeeze of the trigger will launch about 3 to 4 rounds. It is very unforgiving.
J

The firing from the hip bit would of course have the support of the sling over the shoulder, not depicted in the Tamiya figure as standard. Don’t know how much help this would be!?

Yes I plan to use a sling with this guy. Remember I have only just begun to piece him together.
J

1 Like

so… Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

[Winston Churchill] ?

1 Like

Yes Churchill and as for MG42-guy, “’…tis nobler in the mind to suffer the sling(s) & arrows of outrageous fortune…” (Hamlet) :tumbler_glass:

1 Like