Ordered HEMTT A4 suspension

It depends and I am not sure.

On the original M1074 like I built (here), the center suspension is different. The center suspension was the same as used on the center wheels of the M1070 HETS, a cantilever system with air bags, which is what I used.

On the newer M1074A1, it may be the same, not sure. The M1070A1 uses TAK4 suspension units up front and the same spring and bar suspension for the rear two axles. I’m not sure, but I think the middle one may be TAK 4 as well.

Yes, all 5 axles are powered on the 10x10 PLS.

So I have been studying pictures and have come to the following conclusion. I still haven’t heard anything back from Oshkosh.

I think the A4 suspension uses the same suspension units on all four axles. It appears that the front ones have the bolted pivot points together and the rear ones both face the same direction, to the rear. I think it is laid out like below. For ease of assembly and logistics, the same parts for all four axles makes more sense to me. Opinions?

Disregard. See below for an update.

Ordered HEMTT A4 suspension - Armor/AFV / Modern - KitMaker Network

1 Like

I would think all four sets of trailing arms would “trail” to the rear. But I know that NOT to be the case???

Seems that there is a lot of “soft target” air-ride equipment exposed up front. (I don’t mean exposed to military attack but just to off-road hazards.

Here some additional informations on the SAF Holland NEWAY suspension.
https://www.truckcomponentsonline.com/AD123246369-126252378-130260390-SINGLETANDEMTRIDEM-DRIVE-AXLE-AIR_c_506.html

http://www.stengelbros.com/suspension-and-steering-parts/suspension-parts/neway-suspension-parts/

I think, you are right regarding the position of the suspension units.

Here the forward rubber parts can be seen:

Nice that you quote me. :blush:

I stand corrected. I found the HEMTT A4 TM -10. It provided the needed pic. HermannB is correct that the front suspension is different. The sway bars are straight, unlike the rear ones which are curved.

So this is the correct way they are laid out.

Also found a diagram of the new dash board as well.

2 Likes

Very interesting :+1:t2::blush:
Would you be willing to share that - A4 TM, please? :blush:

Sorry, but I had to go old school. I was only able to scan a few pics from a borrowed hard copy.

Don’t give up. It’s out there. Frenchy could probably find it lickety split. For guys like me it takes a little longer.

Just arrived.

2 Likes

It looks very fragile.

I think the guy constructed it without checking with the Trumpeter or Italeri kit. One will hardly get the kit axle installed. Let´s hope my “sacrifice” triggers the release of an injection molded kit. :grinning:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it looks undersized. Thanks for taking the hit for all of us. Fingers crossed on a plastic HEMTT A4 coming soon.

2 Likes

To be honest, I don´t want to know what his M777 looks like. Let alone buying a complete print (maybe in one piece) GOER tanker for $400.:frowning:

Here´s the repair part list for the AD-130.
http://literature1.safholland.com/sites/damedit/literature/XL-AK398-01_en-US.pdf
The kit beam assembly matches the real one, but the mounting points and the “airbags” are waaay to small.

I wonder if he used one of the shorter models as a reference? That could explain why the mounts and bags are too short. If you contact him, he may be willing to fix the design to be correct in height, but then you would likely have to buy some more.

I haved not yet decided to build the suspension parts from scratch. My problem is the perforated exhaust shrout aroun the exhaust. If I could find some proper PE, I would continue my scratchbuild/conversion.
Does anyone know if there is such PE available?

I contacted him some years ago and offering my references but nada.

Apparently not. It still uses the same air suspension that was on the original PLS. I found this on the Oshkosh PLS page.

All PLS variants have the same rear tridem unit which consists of a single Hendrickson-Turner air-sprung drive axle (3rd axle) and a Hendrickson RT-400 leaf-sprung AxleTech tandem (4th and 5th axles) on which the rearmost axle contra-steers. On PLS A1 variants the front AxleTech/Oshkosh axles are sprung using Oshkosh’s TAK-4 fully independent coil spring suspension. The original PLS had a Hendrickson RT-400 leaf-sprung tandem front suspension.”

2 Likes

Suspension elements on PLS A1.
1st and 2nd axle

3rd axle

4th axle

5th axle

2 Likes