P-40E Gizmos

Cool, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for that book.
I’m leaning towards the aluminium/maroon props. Looking at instructions, Airfix suggest alu and black rear sides. Which I would guess is a misinterpretation of photos.
Once I’ve got a few things finished I’ve got a Pearl Harbour build planned. Have gathered together some Kate’s, a Val, Zero’s and of course the P-40. Somewhere I have an Arizona. Probably start it later in the year.

Great minds think alike! Have a B5N … Kaga, one that torpedoed USS Nevada (if I can find out the tail number. Know it was from Kaga. Was only torpedo attack on Nevada. Nevada shot it down. It crashed where the Halsey Bridge reaches Ford Island today.) , B5N, Soryu. Bomber that hit Arizona. D3A, Kaga, second wave attack on Nevada. Was thinking about trying to do an aircraft from each carrier, but… All the interesting stuff seems to have been off Kaga. (Was going to do the A6M2 that crashed on Niihau… Kaga… ) Nevada is our state ship, so the Kate and Val are must haves. Heres a great site for Pearl Harbor IJN aircraft. Has them listed by type and carrier. COLOR PROFILES (forumotion.com)

1 Like

Here, I’ll hijack the thread. When I was researching markings for my P-40 B/C (I was leaning towards Hamilton Field (just over “the Hills” from me.), post PH or Panama, post PH , for something different. Stumbled into the story of the hard luck 57h Pursuit … Here is part 2 of the debacle. (2 links) The Night it Rained P-40s in Marin County, CA - Wreckchasing Message Board (websitetoolbox.com) Tragedy on Bald Hill - San Anselmo Historical Museum (sananselmohistory.org)

1 Like

This part is almost in my backyard. Smith Valley is about 80 miles south of me. Kings Canyon is about 150 south of Smith Valley. Gives an idea of how lost these guys were. And ,oddly enough, about 15 miles from Manzanar … the Nisei (Japanese America) Internment (concentration camp without ovens.) camp. I use to drive the area (395 corridor between Carson City and Mojave) 4-6 times a year. Manzanar was a required pilgrimage stop. Saw several sunrises there. The growing pains of American aviation. The tragedy of the 57th group (topwar.ru)

1 Like

P-40 (aircraftwrecks.com)

1 Like

Brilliant! You’ll have to do a build log for it.
I’m not sure yet which ones I’m going to do. I’ve got Printscales sheets for the Val and Kate (not the best decals, but they’re the only ones I could find at 1/72) and Ospreys books. I want to do at least one torpedo and a couple of level bombers with the Kate’s. I’ve got the Airfix Pearl Harbour set with 1 Kate and the others are Hasegawa. Airfix give lots of spare ordnance to arm them.