Panel lines on gloss sea blue?

Hello all! I’m new to this forum. For the Eduard group build I’d like to build the 1/72 F6F-5 kit I have on order. When it comes to the gloss sea blue paint scheme, how does one go about highlighting the panel lines? Black? Gray? What say you?

I’d still lean to a black wash and spend more time on the sea blue modulation. If you scan alot of WW2 era Hellcats you’ll notice alot of the blue fading with lighter centers and darker along the panel lines so I’d approach it that way using a black. I did the one from Acadamy but havnt gone heavy on the panel lines yet on the blue areas, what i did do was lighten the original shade and do some dry brushing to break it up. Also did chipping in a slightly different shades of blue for variation also, still in a work in progress but remember the Pacific sun was blazing and sea air certainly works against nice uniform paint surviving for very long. Likewise, like my dads old helo crew chief said, you cant go wrong w too much grease, lub and oil, typical daily use aircraft shows alot of streaking back in the day, you cant get away with key components seizing up when the option is too over lube vs swim home. And no pilot is keen on drifting around in a life raft…

1 Like