Panther A in action

Just found this footage of the Saumur Panther at Overloon. Shows preparation for running, filling up, attaching air filters and closing down engine hatch. Also there is a very clear example of how the flexible radio mast worked, which was something I’d often been puzzled about.

6 Likes

I just couldn’t help but think of the angst endured by Allied crews as they spotted one and the same amidst not dissimilar sun-dappled foliage in the killing fields of Normandy. It makes me shudder, although that slow turret traverse might just help if I was, say, in my Sherman…

Excellent footage!

2 Likes

Many modelers do not understand that the German aerial was a hollow, rigid, tapered rod – not a “whip” type like you see in US/UK radio antennae

1 Like

That is too cool.

I wonder how many accidents it caused as it was being transported.

1 Like

That was my point. I did know that the German aerial was a hollow rigid rod, in fact on Befehlpanzer, it was possible to add extra lengths to increase range. What I wasn’t aware of was how flexible the rubber base was, in that it clearly bends completely to allow the turret to rotate without worrying about the aerial.

3 Likes