People's Real Life Rides or Times in Service

I’d forgotten about the Tamiya ones; do they come with etched spokes (probably essential) or would that be an after-market purchase?

I have several dozen of the original Tamiya kits, but not the ODS version. If those sprues have what you need, let me know and the parts are free for the asking, free of charge. Except for the interiors, which I still sell when I get them.

All the update parts for an A1 version are on the E sprue from the Tamiya M2A2 kit (35152) and M2A2 ODS kit (35264) but are not in the original M2 kit (35132).

Tamiya M2A2 E sprue.
The Red circled parts are the guards for the driver and TC vision blocks. The Light Blue circles are parts for the larger turret storage basket. You can also add the turret antenna guard circled in yellow.

1 Like

Good; then Sprue E is what I need. Not just for the vision block guards, but also for the bigger Stowage basket. So I’ll have to add the covers, then rip out the older stowage basket and add the bigger one, then repaint. Nothing too difficult to do; still have plenty of XF59 paint.

So, if you have it PM me.

Thanks for the infor @HeavyArty; you’re a fountain of knowledge. :+1:

You should sell your mad T62 skills to the Russian empire as they are making 800 more M versions.

I only have the original versions. But I do have a scads of spare sprues from other kits. I’ve been known to buy a kit just to get one or two parts, so let me check…

Dan - If you saw the video of me driving the thing, you’d know I have no mad skills. I almost took out several soft skins with the main gun every time I turned. It’s a wonder no one was seriously maimed. Of course, alcohol would have been a factor…

In the meantime you can always use PE sets…Maybe this one would be usable ?

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/parts-decals-for-1:35-scale-voyager-models-pe351018

H.P.

I’m aware of the set, but without having the Tamiya and DML kits side by side, there’s no way to know if it’ll fit. It’s got to be exact to look right.

I once hit black ice driving uphill thru a German village in the middle of the night. Slid backwards twice.
We almost put the gun tube in a wall.
But that was on the TC.

In the current conflict you really don’t need mad skills but just the ability to walk apparently.

2 Likes

Tamiya’s spokes are big as tree trunks!
But those were different times

1 Like

Sometimes entire tanks ended up inside people’s houses!
Ken

And we used the M231’s while in Iraq. Guys ripped off a few mags at a couple of different fights.
You can see the barrel sticking out of one port in this pic (yes thats me with the captured Ak :sunglasses:)

As far as upgrading the kit, I mainly added the guards over the periscopes and antennae guard. We still had the original turret basket as seen in this pic.
ds 001a

This Bradley from my company (2nd plt) had the original turret rack and firing ports still…you can also see the base of the antennae guard as well.
Disregard the sabot round hole, it was one of 3 Bradley my company lost while fighitng at Jalibah airfield.

2 Likes

I remember that battle. 3/69th Armor guys mistook your Bradleys for BMPs shot up the Bradleys bad.

2 losses. Multiple injured.

Found the kit in my stash.

And the parts tree needed for the M2A1 update. The painted interior is from the base M2 kit I built. Went “buttoned up” on the kit and will use the interior on the M2A2 build.

1 Like

As for my personal ride while with the division; I was a supply clerk, so I drove an M35A2 truck, which I built using the AFV Club kit, long ago. Sadly no pictures. I may yet to build it again.

3 Likes

Master Box’s “Frau Muller” & “French Soldiers WW2 era” sets have excellent bikes with p/e spokes & chainsets if you fancy some anger-management therapy…

(The French soldiers set has a boy’s bike, I converted it to another lady’s bike for Anthropoid)

:tumbler_glass:

4 Likes

Same kit I am working on now.

2 Likes

This was my first tank.

And a model of it.

This was my last one.

Beauty Shot:

I have a model of it (not quite finished yet), but no good photos. This is from a display we did for Folds of Honor. It’s the big one.
Ken

5 Likes

Thanks Tim. Etched spokes would seem to be essential that’s for sure; all I need now is a base figure to represent a 15 year-old me!