Phantoms 60 Campaign

Phew, Gomez, that’s some Phantom stash!

Here’s my Z-M F-4E:

Not a great deal done, but I have to say I’m enjoying this one so far. Separate throttles!! Giggle giggle.

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Primoz & Michael, your Phantoms are lookin’ the Biz!!

1 Like

The decals were realy bad, thick and silvering. But I couldn’t go back now. I used every method I know about this kind of decals to put them on. Usualy Italeri decals are great and this was the first time i got unpleasently surpirised. After the final clear coat I darkened panel with dark grey pastel dust. Here is the result.

Cheers!

Primoz

5 Likes

Looks good Primoz, I do like that colour you have done.

Thanks! It was a struggle. :grin:

The model is now finished. Before final asembly I needed to make hinges for the cockpit cover. I must say I enjoyed this build verry much. I like to bring these old kits back into life.

7 Likes

Sweet build.

1 Like

Primoz, your Phantom looks great! The weathering you did seems to be spot on.
Have fun modeling
Mike
:beer:

3 Likes

Nice. That’s a great color scheme!

1 Like

Thank you all! :slight_smile:
Primož

Phabulous Phantom Primoz! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’m an old Phantom Phreak. Back in the 80s I built about six of Hasegawa F-4Js and F-4Bs (they have since been lost or destroyed in about a dozen moves. And, one did a flat spin into a wall when my brother got made at me. {he almost did his own flat spin.}). I live near the city of San Bernardino, CA. San Bernardino was the home of Norton AFB until mid 90s. There was a guy who was a loadmaster on C-141s who would bring back Hasegawa kits from Japan for our local hobby shop, Harper’s Hobbies. We were like kids in a candy store when those kits would come in before anyone else got them. King (the owner of the shop) would hide them away for certain people he liked.

3 Likes

So I’m looking at Hasegawa weapons kits for my academy phantom. Are they nice quality? They are certainly a lot cheaper than the resin equivalents. I’d like to do napalm which seems to be only available in resin, but six napalm cans probably cost as much as the kit itself…

The Hasegawa set has BLU-27. You’ll need Mk-77.
Flying Leathernecks has Mk-77 bombs are good at $10.00 for 2.
Eduard has Mk-77 bombs for 14.99 for 2.

Hasegawa’s bomb sets are very good. That jet would look good with a bunch of Mk-82 Snake Eyes.

1 Like

Hi there

Wow! There are some wonderful already in this Campaign!

I’ll throw my hat in the ring with Z-M’s new F-4EJ Kai:

This is a pre-production sample - hence the unusual spread of instructions (just a printout) - but I think the parts should represent the finished release. I’ll do an in-box review before getting too stuck into the build, so my first task will be to tape together the main components and get a feel for the beauty. I’m already struck by just how BIG the Phantom II is in 1:48! :wink:

More soon. Take care and stay safe.

All the best

Rowan

1 Like

While I am finishing up the cockpit on my 1/72 Hasegawa RF-4E build, I wanted to post a small update to keep me moving on this build while I finish out a different model on my bench. I found that in building the 1/72 Hasegawa Phantom kits, it is much easier to not follow the directions but glue the fuselage halves together first. This minimizes the step you get when you try and mate the front cockpit fuselage section to the rear fuselage section as shown in the instructions. I trashed several Hasegawa Phantoms before a friend suggested this build sequence. Here’s how it looks:

Easy Peasy!
Have fun modeling
Mike
:beer:

2 Likes

Rowan, do you know if ZM will be releasing any Slatted-Wing Phantom kits??

Calvin

Edit: Doing research on my Iranian F-4E and it looks like even after their major overhaul of many of them during the 2008-2009 time frame they kept their ENGLISH maintenance stencils. Anyone have any info to the contrary? Not that my kit will be contest-correct since the ESCI kits are hard wing. :yum: Fashioning a TISEO is not difficult but cutting into the outer LEF to make a it a slatted wing is a horse of another color!!

BTW, the Hi-Decal line sheet I have also has some rather nice KOREAN Phantoms on it!! :heart_eyes: :sunglasses:

Hi Calvin

I’m sad to say I don’t have any insight into ZM’s future releases at the moment.

All the best

Rowan

1 Like

They have indeed announced a full range of “long nose” Phantoms, including the late E, F, and G. While this announcement is mostly about the early E, it includes a statement about all the rest if you scroll down to the heading “Special Traits…”

https://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/products/sws48_10_f4e-early.html

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like