Pinned Topics

An observation: On my desktop monitor there is room to show 11 topics. Two of them are pinned, meaning that they are always on top. It is conceivable that there will be enough pinned topics to take up half or even all of the opening screen. I wonder if that is desirable.

KL

1 Like

Perhaps consider a separate, standalone subcategory just for pinned topics.

I have been discussing pinned topics with Jim lately. The new system doesn’t do “stickies” for a topic that keeps it permanently at the top for all to see. Apparently they are only pinned for you and will only be pinned until the next time you respond, then they become unpinned and slide down the list of topics. You can click pinned at the bottom every time to keep them at the top, or if you bookmark them, they will appear on your bookmark list under your avatar at the top right.

Well, I never replied to either one of these topics in the first place, so I don’t know how my responding is relevant.

Maybe this response will kick it loose.

KL

1 Like

Nope, still there.

KL

1 Like

Which area are we speaking about? The behaviour of pinned topics seems to vary so I need to nail this pattern down. I thought it was actually just viewing a topic that seems to knock some off of pinned view (unless you as a user re-pin it by hovering over the pin and clicking).

Cheers,
Jim

I mentioned all of the pins once on the Russo-Soviet forum. I felt it was a little ridiculous that there were so many. I’m surprised one never appeared for “How to build a better Soviet Mousetrap.”
Of course once again I got the usual comments about how all you have to do is scroll down - is that too hard? Thing is it was right after I came back from a mission in the PI, where a lot of “malfeasance”
was occurring. Turns out that out in the provinces where internet is hard to come by you pay for it by the minute. And it’s slow as hell, I paid way more than I needed to waiting for those dumbass pages to scroll down, Is it hard to imagine not all of our members around the world don’t all enjoy lightning fast internet? Enough with the pins. Two of them haven’t even been responded to since 2015 , and it’s been since 2017 for four of them. Little ridonkulous if you ax me.

I did mention not too long ago how folks at M-L were so against moving topics to the top - something I really wanted. Well, they went to that format, and yet the world continues to rotate about its axis.

Enough with the pins. Did I say that already?

What do you mean by “area”? The group? (AFV/Armorama)

Now there is only one pinned topic, the general one about the page.

KL

So this one?

Okay… so for me anyway I had to go all the way to the bottom of that category to find that topic and RE-pin it personally for me to get it to show up there. So if you don’t want a pinned topic to display at the top, just go into the topic and click the pin. It should flip/reverse and then it won’t be pinned for you anymore (other than showing up with a pin in the listing). The only reason it would be near the top at that point would be if someone posts in it, etc.

Cheers,
Jim

It was a preference by some users, not a key element to the board’s functioning. The Earth would still turn no which method they chose.

KL

OK, I will do that.

Thanks,
KL