HMS Prince of Wales Denmark Strait

I would like to build the Flyhawk 1/700 PoW of the Denmark Straights, but it is now OOP, and none can be found (at a reasonable price). I’m afraid that ship has sailed (ha, ha). The only alternative is to buy Flyhawk’s PoW of Dec. 1941, Deluxe model, and backdate it. Besides switching out the octo 2 lb’er on turrets B, and X for the UP projectors, are there any other differences I should be aware of?
:smiley: :canada:

Hmmm… no knowledgeable people? :thinking:

What does PoW mean?

I believe he means the battleship HMS Prince of Wales.

Battle of the Denmark Strait - Wikipedia

Prince of Wales received the following upgrades between May 1941 and July 1941

4 X Type 282 and 4 X Type 285 radars (probably had those during the battle of the Denmark Straight)

From June until July the UP mountings were removed and their directors were replaced by pom-pom directors. one 8barrel and one 4barrel pom pom were added.

Finally Type 271 radar was added.

Instructions for the May 1941 kit from Flyhawk

Thanks. So all I’ll need is a set of UP launchers, and scratch up the shields.

1 Like

Hmmm… I thought it would be pretty obvious as the post is titled “HMS Prince of Wales Denmark Straight”… :thinking: :thinking: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Yup, fixed it when I realized what PoW stood for. :grin:

There are plenty of 3D printed items available for upgrading this kit. Depending on how much you want to spend you can get funnel assemblies, the forward superstructure etc.

Flyhawk also has a separate photoetch set, which includes all the details for both versions. I saw it available at Hobby Link Japan for 25 something dollars.

A good source for flyhawk sets is AlliExpress, plenty of sellers there, be careful of the shipping costs, try researching for items with free shipping.

1 Like