Pz Grenadier question

German infantry were issued with the Tornister:

Were Pz Grenadiers issued with the same? Kfz 251 A and B had simple plank seats with no backrest, so I’m wondering if they (Pz Grenadiers), stowed them against the interior wall as a backrest.
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like

I don’t have much info on the M34 knapsack (Tornister 34).

“The knapsack was issued to all dismounted (italics mine) troops, but was not generally worn in combat, being left with the unit baggage transport.” -German Army Uniforms of WWII in Color Photographs, Motorbooks International, page 31.

1 Like

OK…no Tornisters.
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like

Generally, with all Wehrmacht fighting forces. All packs and other gear were transported separately. Usually by means of the standard Company/Battalion horse drawn cart. There is tons of reference to this practice, A great source is the German Infantry guide.

However, as history has shown. Some lightly researching fellow on this great site will state emphatically that they read on Wikipedia that that wasn’t the case. PLEASE read this great book

It’s pretty hard to find photos of SPW interiors, although they are out there. But I can’t find any evidence that the tornisters were packed into them, although of course I’ll qualify this, like everything German, by saying never say never. The German forces were chronically short of motor transport, so it’s quite possible that some unit somewhere may have carried their packs. But the thing to remember is that a SPW was battle transport, with a full section of 10 men, it’s pretty crammed with barely enough room for the “battle pack” equipment and arms and ammunition. Even extra weapons were carried fastened to the outside, so I don’t think it’s likely there was room for tornisters.

1 Like