Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf. J w Interior | Armorama

Editor

posted on 3 seconds ago

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/pz-kpfw-iv-ausf--j-w-interior
1 Like

I asked this at the time, but no one responded. What differences would there be between this vehicle and one manufactured in say, October 1944? This is fagged as Nibelungenwerke, weren’t Pz IV also made by Vomag? What differences would you see in an Ausf J from these two manufacturers? I’m tempted to pick this kit up, but want to depict a slightly earlier vehicle.

I think the rough time line for production is VoMag stopped making Pz IV’s and switched to Jagdpanzer IV production in Spring of 1944.

I don’t know all the specific detail differences in VoMag manufacture vs Nibelungenwerk. I ordered several Craig Ellis Panzer IV books today so I hope to learn the specific details.

One key difference, the later Nibelungenwerk Pz IV’s like the one shown in the MiniArt picture will have the tow points/pinnacles integrated into the hull sides via the extended sides and not on the hull front.

I think VoMag stopped producing PzIV before the tow pinnacles moved from the hull front to the extended hull sides. This was a Nibelungenwerk only feature from what I understand.

Tow pinnacles marked.
VoMag

Nibelungenwerk

Source

Wiki on Jagdpanzer IV

VoMAG in Plauen switched completely from Panzer IV production to Jagdpanzer IV in Spring 1944, Krupp-Grusonwerk in Magdeburg switched to StuG IV in early 1944, and only the Nibelungenwerk in St. Valentin continued with Panzer IV production.

1 Like

I’ve been a biff here. I actually found a couple of publications in the garage (yes I have bookcases in the garage, run out of space in the house) I’d forgotten I had, including the Osprey New Vanguard on the Pz IV G, H and J. It would appear that the last Vomag tank was produced around February 1944, after which they went over to Jagdpanzer IV. However it also shows Nibelungenwerke Js made in September 1944, still with the separate towing hitches, i.e. not the towing eyes formed in the side plates. So it would appear this is the distinguishing feature, apart from other J features such as the Flammentoter exhausts replacing the large muffler (August 1944), deletion of the two stroke generator from beginning of production, flat cupola lid (October) and reduction to three return rollers per side (December).
What all this means is that I can’t use this kit without modification. I’ll have to think again.