Question on MASSTER camo

That’s excellent. Thank you!

As requested and promised. Here are all 38 pages from Inclosure 1 to USAREUR letter of 2 December 1966, Subject: Camouflage Painting of Combat Vehicles and Equipment, referencing the Letter of 7 November 1966 subject as above, Which was published in Reference to USAREUR Regulation 746-5 (28 Apr 66).

These were the original pattern templates created for the initial program, which was cancelled in June of 1967, and were taken out of the file and attached to the USAREUR Regulation 5-525 sometime in mid 1973 which initiated the MASSTER pattern painting program, with the change of Color 2 from a seasonal Brown/Green switch, to a Sand Color.

The Inclosure consists of 38 pages, oddly numbered from 1-16, an unnumbered page, and then 21 additional pages numbered 19-39. It provides the pattern views of left and right sides, front, back and top for 12 different vehicle types as follows:

1. 1/4 Ton Truck
  2. 1/4 Ton Trailer
  3. Cargo Truck
  4. Cargo Trailer
  5. 5-Ton Wrecker
  6. Truck, Van, Expansible
  7. U.S. Army M-113 Armored Personnel Carrier
  8. M114
  9. Tank & Tank Dozer
  10. Track Recovery Vehicle
  11. 155mm Howitzer
  12. M-577

4 Likes

Thank you very much, you’ve just made my day :smiley:

1 Like

when I see the images and read the story about MASSTER it is now clear why there is such a variety in these camo pattern. Rough sketches of vehicles with no dimensions and some lines are missing…

Maybe I’ll try a “test vehicle” with the 1966/1967 colors (brown/green instead of sand)

Army Paint by Numbers! I would bet money that more than one of those patterns was drawn on in crayon…

1 Like

Yeah, but look at the numbers. Even they do not match. In several places the same number is used for separate patches.

Yeah, and remember the story behind how these templates got created in the first place. The original letter with the 1:30 “pattern” was sent out on 7 November with the instructions that EVERY UNIT was supposed to create their own 1:30 scale drawings of each type of their vehicles…(let that sink in for a minute!) and then transfer that pattern over the newly created drawing, and THEN take that drawing to the motor pool and chalk it off on the actual vehicle. And this hits the field in early-mid November with the weather turning nasty and the Thanksgiving holiday coming up.

I can imagine that the Chief Engineer of USAREUR got called into the Chief of Staff’s office (who was embarrassed that he had allowed the original letter to go out in the first place and had probably already been giving a chewing out by the Commanding General!), and getting his butt chewed out and told, “You get this fixed and make it YESTERDAY!!”. And then the Chief Engineer announcing to his staff that THEY needed to created drawings and patterns RIGHT NOW so that the new direction could be issued ASAP, ultimately getting signed on 2 December.

So you can imagine the staff busting their butts to create this document and fast, and so it’s not surprising that there are a few errors in it.

The funny part of the story is that some 6 1/2 years later when the program we know as MASSTER finally DOES get implemented, SOMEBODY remembered that these templates already had been created and they were pulled out of some file cabinet and re-published.

Now all I need is for SOMEBODY to reach out and make contact with Tankograd and see if they actually have a copy of the 1973 version of the ACTUAL USAREUR Reg.

Maybe I’ll try a “test vehicle” with the 1966/1967 colors (brown/green instead of sand)

I think that is a GREAT idea! That is a true “what if” project!!!

No… those would be Marines… who would then eat the crayons afterwards… :wink:

See, I was thinking those exact same thoughts and decided to not tease the Marines this time.

Hey Stikpusher,
I have an M163 which I plan to paint up in the MASSTER camo pattern! I am using the Hataka US Army Paint Set (MASSTER & DUALTEX) set.

-Joseph

Joe, as long as the set has Sand FS 30277, Earth Red 30117, Forest Green 34127, and Black 37038, you’ll be fine with that set for MASSTER.

Oh yeah, some OD for the running gear area too…

1 Like