Rant about Reviews

Reading this discussion has confirmed for me why I wouldn’t touch membership of a club, or consider entering any kind of competition, local or otherwise, with a barge pole. Far too many beardy self-abusers with a hugely inflated opinion of themselves and their own personal level of skill for my liking. And don’t get me started on rivet counters… this is supposed to be a hobby for goodness sake, not heart bypass surgery.

It shouldn’t be beyond the whit of man to consider all available reviews when deciding on a particular kit/project and to then make a personal decision on the outcome - but aparently it is, and that should be depressing. It seems to me that the older a person gets, and the more disposable income they have, the worse they are.

I remember the genuine pleasure I got from building my first kits, probably Airfix aircraft, literally a couple of quid with about 10 parts in a bag. It didn’t matter that it was most likely only a passing facsimile of the real thing, to me it was a wonderful thing. A reviewer (did they even have those then?) could have sold it to me as the holy grail, the fact that it wasn’t didn’t matter.

I reckon its about time some people got from up themselves on here, i really do.

14 Likes