Ravings from a kit hoarder

You can switch to figures. They take up substantially less space.

2 Likes

I did that, putting figure kits in with tank kits, but then forgot which kits had the figures in them.

2 Likes

The danger for me lately is realizing that ā€œoh, Def Model, or Aber, or whomever makes a great barrel, or tracks or wheels, or other aftermarket items I must have. And so on. And so on. Itā€™s like modeling Tetris, going through kit boxes and seeing whatā€™s in thereā€¦.

Jimbo

5 Likes

Solution Jimbo, label them:

Mike

8 Likes

and/or maintain a register:
model, AM-parts already in box, located elsewhere or yet to be acquired

3 Likes

I have a spreadsheet that lists whatā€™s on the labels (i.e. copy & paste from sheet to label). Only thing missing on the label thatā€™s on the sheet is the item number:

The yellow highlighted line is an Eduard set I donā€™t have, but want. Heh, been looking for a loooong time for that.

Mike

4 Likes

Thatā€™s way too technical for me. I use medical color coding dots (available at Walmart) on the box end to tell me whatā€™s in the box. Yellow for PE, red for barrel, blue for track, and green for resin. I know in an instant what the kit has and what it lacks.

6 Likes

I remember when you first got the bunker ready and it was so tidy and empty ā€¦ Madness ā€¦ utter madness lol (and you could see the wall lol)

1 Like

Yup it didnā€™t take me long to fill up all the space - but my workbench is still neat and tidy!

1 Like

and when there is two kits sharing one box???

I canā€™t do that Robin, Iā€™d never find the kit Iā€™m looking for and Iā€™d lose the tiny grip on sanity I have left!

My spreadsheet contains codes for location telling me which shelf it is on
and if it is visible (front row) or hidden behind the front row kits.
Each box has a id-number on it, some boxes have more than one number.
The id-numbers are listed in the spreadsheet.
Search in the spreadsheet, find id-number and location code, go to that shelf
and pull out the kit.
Just need to be careful when editing that spreadsheet

2 Likes

Robin that all sounds very logical and efficient. However if I adapted your system that would be the tipping point for me and my wife would have me medicated. No more online shopping or visiting Armorama.

2 Likes

Obviously you do not show her the spreadsheet,
never, ā€¦
ever ā€¦
Self incrimination is not clever.
:wink: :grin:

3 Likes

Actually I use Scalemates. Works ok so far. But I love all yā€™allā€™s solutions!

Jimbo

Matt, they make an oversized cabinet you can store your additional kits inā€¦

They can be color coded and they are stackableā€¦

15 Likes

I need one of those behind my house!

1 Like

I left a like for the single box
and this is for the others:
:+1: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

At least in the US you can plead the fifth!

2 Likes

My wife has probably seen my spreadsheet once in a whileā€¦thankfully sheā€™s not asked me to explain what it is.

Not that it matters too muchā€¦she sees the wall of kits just about every day.

Mike

2 Likes