Ravings from a kit hoarder

Sell your kits at a huge loss. That’s guarantee enough to send them flying outa’ your stash.

—mike

6 Likes

Just did a 2 day model railroad swap meet. Got rid of 72 1/48th scale airplane kits that I will never get to in what time I have left. Yes, I sold them for a good bit less then I paid, but hey, those are sunk costs and quite frankly I enjoyed the acquisition process, the plastic drooling process and the selling process so I think I probably got my money out of them. The most of what I sold also went to younger modelers who usually don’t have a great deal of money in there pockets. The adults tended to be ex-service who picked up a piece with personal connections or bought multiple kits while commenting on the prices compared to what they expected to pay at the upcoming IPMS show/meet. All in all I’m happy, the wife is happy, my buyers are happy, and I have ready cash to obtain other stuff.
Own the stash, don’t let it own you. It is as they say, only money, and you can’t take it with you, unless you want to be buried with it rather than with/in your prized automobile.

Take care and enjoy the personal connections. They are what matter.

Tim

9 Likes

I have some storage space here if you’d like to ship a few boxes over. While the space has some flexibility, it is really best suited for newer Tamiya aircraft kits…

4 Likes

I have discovered “free kits” can still be difficult to get rid of. There is still shipping and they become nothing more than a stash filler to most and we are trying to limit our stash to good to great kits so they pass on the free kit.
I may end up just keeping the kits and taping a $100 bill to them with the directions to call the nearest IPMS and have them haul off the remaining kits to give to new members.

Buying kits from the estate of a deceased club member is a bag full of mixed emotions. I want anyone who buys my kit estate to donate a few kits to the local club, service mrmbers, kids, …wait, I can do that while I’m still alive.
I’ve been thinking about writing my “Ultimate Build List”, a modeler’s version of the Bucket List. Anything not on the list goes to a new home. It will take a strong will to give away the kits I so painstakingly accumulated with the good intention to build someday.

2 Likes

Ain’t that so …
:pensive:

I am just honestly curious if thought has been given to the amount of stress this might cause your next of kin or has one even had the talk with them about both the built and not built?

1 Like

Some leave huge collections of books,
vinyl-records,
cars in various states of repair,
“collectibles” of various types (we humans collect the most obscure objects)
clothes
various junk and trash (hoarders)
debts (that’s not fun either depending on the legislation).
I think our next of kin have more to think about (i.e. our demise) so the
stash would be a secondary problem.
Declare it as zero value and then sell it off slowly and quietly

I have at one time, basically goes to the club anything they done want, when the time comes who knows either way not going to matter to me. Have other club members who are on the back half doing varies purges either from doing the math or planned downsizing space in the “near” future.

1 Like

Ever seen a grown relative ask if another grown relative is OK with their hunting, fishing, race car, rock, stamp, Beanie baby, Hummel, cabagge patch kid collecting hobby?

Absolutely Zero Care or Concern for what my Next of Kin, think about my hobbies or any stress they may experience as a result of my hobbies. They can do themselves, I’ll be me and we’ll be A-OK.

As for wives & prior girlfriends, all knew early on performance cars & model hobby etc were part of the deal, not open to negotiate or change. Had a one balk at the performance car hobby, so I promptly cut her loose early on.

Magic word is “NEXT”…wink

Men don’t compromise who they are to accommodate other people. When they do it, results in a vicious circle of man trying to trade “his status and being genuine” for approval, which is an automatic life fail. That’s a one way ticket to end up miserable.

2 Likes

Part of the problem stems from me. I like my kits even if I don’t get to build them. I grew up modeling. Had quite a few as a kid. I have built kits off and on as an adult. I have grown my skills and expectations. Giving up my kits is difficult partly because it is like giving up on what I do. We are born with little and we grow from there. As we reach the other end of life we start giving up what we have grown. Wheather it is your health, your wealth, your hobbies, hunting, yardwork etc. It is just another step like having your kids finally take the keys to your car. I can control the loss of my kits, I can’t control ageing.

5 Likes

Its not a judging comment. Some point of view observation.

Its seems this gets focused on the wife or girl friend. That also not who I am thinking of.

unique view, I used to assistant manage a Christian donation store and also the intake at one of two intake locations. I would see families donate large amounts of items, like truckloads after a family members death. Very rarely did they seem happy about doing it. But stress and mourning maybe a reason, never asked, so no proof. But what i do have proof of is what came in. And I NEVER saw model builds come in, never. But I would see baseball card collections, CD collection, record collections, computers, everything. Once or twice some old card model boxes. What was very common was finding cash stashes inside donated items. Most of the time we could link it back to the donated family because they asked for receipt. We would find it in shoe boxes, luggage, inside books etc.

My main point is families could careless, they just wanted the house gutted to sell of maybe. Zero cares about going thru anything.

Just saying, maybe have that talk, or at least leave a letter somewhere where you might have cash stashed. people act different during a loss, and sometimes things you want going somewhere might never make it.

i think what would happen most time is the family would have estate sale and then dump all remainder with us. But we would find cash and jewelry very often.

My wife might care some about some of my builds, but cant imagine the non builds. I met her while working there. so my stuff would probably go there or goodwill instead.

1 Like

I hear you.

Last year, one long time acquitance passed away after ~30+ years of intensive kit collecting. Family said he had the collection spread over six rooms in the house. Over 5,000+ kits, multiple air compressors, airbrushes etc. Sold for $5,000, basically a dollar per kit to a third party collector that resells kits. Basically, some guys with a truck & trailer rolled up, paid then hauled most of it away for later resell.

I’ve tried, but my wife still refuses to pile it all up in the nearby field with me on top for a Viking funeral! Keeps saying the neighbouring towns will complain about the fumes…

4 Likes

All this talk of having the talk before taking the walk…

Uh, oh, package inbound. :package:
—mike :grin:

2 Likes

women like to hide in boots, the nicer jackets or suits, and funniest place and duh, the side pocket on purses. purses and books, top two spots for cash, and jewelry in suits.

Knowing life’s limitations, I once had over 700, 1/35 kits, in the garage. I certainly knew at the time I’ll never live enough to build them, so, I sat my ass down in the garage staring at all those kits while throwing down a few beers. The beer softened my possessive gene and I simply started putting some of those kits in a box. Felt good to let go. A few days later I found more boxes and a few contacts/addresses to IPMS and charities that ship all scales and types of models to our Military overseas, or other well deserving charities. I must have shipped 10 to 15 boxes to charities and overseas, at my own expense. Now, I felt really good. Over the years my stash stays around 150 kits, which in mentally manageable. Books, paints, decals, aftermarket, etc., that’s another hell hole that will have to be sorted through. I’ll be 69 in June, and over the last few months I have showed my wife a couple of phone numbers of modeling buddies in my contact list. Both have the word MODELS, in caps, after their names. She now knows what to do.

8 Likes

I have a very small stash compared to many who have posted, about 20 unbuilt and no shelf queens. Two things help me keep the numbers down. I have a self imposed spending limit of $50.00 on any single kit and I live by the mantra don’t love anything that can’t love you back. Works very well for me. Your mileage may vary.

8 Likes

Back in 2005/6 a long time employee of a local hobby shop passed away. His only living relative was a brother several states away and they hadn’t communicated in over 40 yrs. The brother wanted nothing to do w/the stash which filled a garage size storage locker. I helped the owner of the hobby shop inventory that collection and put it up for disposal. Afterwards I went home and started reducing my collection of books, magazines, kits, supplies, tools and aftermarket. I still buy new stuff but I try and sell/give away or in some cases trash things from the existing collection. I’ve found I like the selling process as well, if not better, than the acquisition process, primarily due to the interaction w/the modelers who are making purchases. Enjoyment comes in many different forms if you are open to it.

Tim

9 Likes

Just out of curiosity, and i mean no disrespect at all, what is the point of amassing such large inventories knowing you’ll never possibly build them all?

I get collecting things such as stamps, coins, baseball cards etc…they serve no other purpose. Models are meant to be built. Just an honest question…I’m not trying to toss a hand grenade in the room.

4 Likes