Rearview Mirrors & Width Indicators on Scale Vehicles

Rearview Mirrors & Width Indicators on Scale Model Vehicles:

The current model plastic formulas are somewhat brittle especially when molded in their smaller forms such as the outside rearview mirror stalks and the width indicators offered today on many scale model vehicles.

However, it is somewhat amazing just how flexible, strong, resilient and “plastic”* the Evergreen formulated material seems to be. This is especially true of the small diameter plastic rad they offer. So, given its’ ability to “spring back” . . . I routinely replace the outside rearview mirror stalks and the width indicators on all my vehicle models with the Evergreen material.

*In this case the word plastic is used to mean; “malleable, moldable, flexible & resilient”. Concrete, iron and steel are all plastic in this sense of the word.

(The gray Plastruct material does not work at all in this application as it too is still extremely brittle. I cannot speak to the newer white Plastruct material but it appears similar to the Evergreen product,)

. .

. .101_0160_zpsuyzbmxacArrows

127_2731

79_1

In the past I would dread whenever “model shelf cleaning day” would roll around. (For a number of reasons) but mainly because I knew that afterwards I would find lots of broken rearview mirrors that had gotten knocked off my models. (And this is even with me doing my own careful cleaning!)

Now that I am using the Evergreen replacements this is MUCH less of an issue.

I used to use brass rod, glued into a small hole on the fender, bumper, etc. For 1/35 scale you can find small enough round beads for the ball on top.
:smiley: :canada:

All true - but if you accidently catch one of those brass rods with your finger, cloths, arm or hand, you are likely to pull the entire model off onto the floor. Especially if the model happens to roll easily.

But Biggles ~ my whole point here is that at least 75% of the time the tiny Evergreen plastic rods are so flexible they just going to bend and pop right back into place rather than either breaking or knocking the model off the shelf.

Just one of the many hazards of model building/collecting. :pouting_cat:
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like