Reminiscing on my days at South Station

Outstanding! The time, dedication, effort, and resources that went into this is just phenomenal!

The color and figure variety speaks volumes, as does your creative and kitbashing touches. Sci-Fi kitbashing it’s easy so I’m glad that it all turned out well for you. This just looks totally awesome.

You should enter it in a model magazine Gallery or as a Feature.

3 Likes

Didn’t think about that, but totally agree with Peter @Trisaw about the putting it into a magazine as a feature…any editor would be mad not to snap it up !!

3 Likes

@Trisaw and @Johnnych01 , hi Peter and John, well - never thought of going that route - now you’ve left me something to ponder - lol - and I was just about over my burnout on this project!! :smile: ok -something to think about -

cheers
Nick

3 Likes

Well said. This is my interest in Ian McQue designs as well. Also, BURDA - Alejandro Burdisio’s art has a similar future view.

2 Likes

Personally, the first thing that leaps to mind from his creations is anime. He definitely evokes the beauty, diversity and creativity of anime.

There, shared my 5p on the subject.

1 Like

@KoSprueone and @The_Snowman, well I’m glad to see the concept behind the project has resulted in you both commenting. KSO, I’m a long time McQue “enthusiast” for lack of a better term, but in general that refers to his style of conceptual art, which others also engage in. When I started this project I looked at lots of images - both scenes concocted by artists, and photos of various places, vehicles and so on.

The_Snowman, well, I’m sorry to report I don’t know too much about Anime so for now, I’ll have to take your word for it, and in the longer run, I’ll need to check it out. I certainly know the genre by name - but have pretty limited - or should I say, no understanding of the style or basic storyline!

Thinking about both comments, it occurred to me that others probably don’t have much of a reason for knowing about Ian McQue’s work - why would they? If you’re not an F1 fan, you might not be able to immediately picture a Cosworth DFV, DOHC engine - why would you?

So, I went back into my project file and assembled this graphic showing some of McQue’s work:

Ahh - the McQue style - which I find pretty interesting! Not sure if this is what Anime looks like or not? For this project I looked at lots of these and similar images and developed the basic concept.

Then, looked for current, real life images to try and translate the abstract into image that could be used to inspire elements in a dio:

I looked for images of abandoned places, industrial and military places, and objects and vehicles that seemed to be in keeping with the idea.

And below how I began translating the “conceptual art” and real life images to layout the project:

I had the M1070 kit for a long time, and it seemed like a perfect first candidate fort this project, serving as the “foundation” for my mobile station.

And how these translated into vehicles that met the criteria or potential for the project:

The M1070 as a halftrack, the Skoda Turtle inspired by the old Chevy 4x4, and the 6x6 recovery vehicle, inspired by the Fabco 6x6 half cab -

OK model builders, thanks for having a look, and sharing your thoughts -

Cheers
Nick

10 Likes

It should be us thanking you, for sharing your work, thoughts and motivation.

On a passing thought about the subject matter of anime, there is of all things a music video by the “virtual” group Gorillaz that features “floating” islands tha I find quite fitting.

You may or may not like it, but visuals of the floating windmill/island resonate your muses creations with me.

Anyway, thanks again.

Thanks for posting the article, Nick. I especially like the side by side picture of your vehicles to Ian McQue’s designs

Extraordinary. Superb. Genius.

1 Like

HI Guys -

@The_Snowman , sure - Pleased to do so. As this project is a bit out there, I’m glad to share a bit of what led up to it. Yes! I remember Gorilaz, but forgot about those videos! They were a big deal at the time. I worked with a guy who was a big fan of their music. I didn’t know this graphic style is in the realm of anime - cool

@KoSprueone , you bet - thanks for the interest. I wish I could tell you that each and every aspect of this project was clear as day the minute I thought it up :smile: that didn’t happen! The M1070 converted to a halftrack was first, as it did sort of jump out as being in character with McQue’s work - the others tho, stumbled into existence as the project moved along. The Turtle - was perfect! weird shape to begin with, then add some full on suspension, modify the body, and go with a bold paint scheme! The 6x6 recovery - came together in two distinct phases - First round, was only a halfcab flat bed with the special cradle in the bask. Then, after looking at it for a while decided it could sure use a crane!

@JPTRR , Hi Fred, and wow and whoa! slow down! I appreciate it!! thanks

Cheers
Nick

3 Likes

Wow Nick , … this is incredible !!!
The best part about building like this is there are no restrictions , no rivets to count or critique , no who , why , what or where .
Configuring a world out of you own melon and presenting it in a logical , sensible , believable format is just brilliant , … and fun to build !!!
Waiting for more …

3 Likes

Ok, I need to get out more, cause I’m lacking oxygen from this sky-high imagination. This is what “sniffin paint and gluin them fingers together” is all about, Woof!

5 Likes

@Cheyenne ha - thanks! You know, I think having counted too many rivets led me to this project! This project required me to come up with the ideas myself, versus searching on line for that one, hard to find picture, of the back side of the part, that I’m sure I saw at least once, that proves once and for all, they are not hex head bolts, and that they are allen head bolts!!! :smile: and, they’re dark grey, and not black!! :smile: This was a fun build - cheers

@PolishBrigade12 haha! see? this is what happens when you mix enough glue and paint over a long enough period, then get locked at home thanks to covid, have stash with more kits than you need, and this is what you get! :smile:

Something to both of your points, that was a constant challenge, was trying to stay true to the concept. This seems obvious enough, but as I was building, keeping true to the idea and not to build known reality stopped me in my tracks several times! - ok - how’s that for a stilted sentence!! :smile:

Reminds me of a point that @JRutman told me years ago about modelling debris. Which that it’s random - and not in a pattern! Which also seems obvious, but it’s much easier said than done!! Like this - nearly everything on this build is like something we see any way- except, it’s not! :smile:

Cheers
Nick

3 Likes

Makes sense to me. When ya get down to it, you are the artist, and license is not required!

2 Likes