Replacement Model Master Acrylic Thinner?

Just to satisfy my curiosity and the fact that I had all the ingredients on hand, I whipped up a test batch, a whole 10 ml worth, and I can confirm that it indeed works, at least for Model Master Acrylics, which is the only paint I tried. I thinned the paint to a very thin consistency to test its application, adhesion and filming properties. I’m happy to report that at least to my subjective standards, it checks out fine. :+1:

I realize that not everyone wants to play Bryan Cranston’s role and mix up chemicals in their kitchen, but since I had the ingredients and the ability to measure them in minute quantities, I gave it a shot. I too prefer to use off the shelf products, in their intended usage, (sorry blue washer fluid fans), rather than resorting to graduated cylinders, pipettes and Breaking Bad techniques. :man_scientist:

2 Likes

@Stikpusher Carlos, thought this thinner test with Model Master Acryl might be of interest.

Will Pattison - ep72 - testing thinners wirh model master acryl

He basically says Ultimate Airbrush Thinner is a self solution. Mr Color Leveling may work…see video for specifics.

Thanks for the video link Wade. I watched it (and remembered why I don’t care for many YouTube videos) and yes, that Ultimate Airbrush Products Ultimate Airbrush Thinner does work. But I guess the only way to get the stuff is to order it from the UK. I can’t find it available here in the US by Google or Amazon.
So I will still need to give the Vallejo thinner a shot, and of course there is always the old fallback of windshield wiper fluid.
A pox on the house of Rustoleum for discontinuing all of the Model Master products! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like