Replicating brass fittings on car model

I am looking for the best way to brush-paint various fittings on a 1920s-era car to replicate brass.
I have experimented with Humbrol enamel 54 (Brass), but find the finish to be rather grainy.
Maybe I should be using acrylics to achieve a smoother finish. Also, does anyone have a preferred undercoat for this colour?

One suggestion I have come across is to undercoat with Burnt Umber, and to follow with a top coat
of Vallejo’s Liquid Gold …

Thanks,

Paul

I haven’t needed to do it personally, but from what I have seen either a red or yellow base coat will accentuate the Brass tones. I have had success brush-painting with Vallejo Metal Color in Chrome and Gold on smaller details and it smooths out nicely.

Cheers, D

Citadel paints from warhammer do a few nice metallics I rather like them

2 Likes

I took a different approach, when building An ICM Ford T. I used Ak-intercative True metal; a paste like paint, that can be diluted, with white spirit and polished, when dry.

2 Likes

True Metal would be my recommendation as well. It will never beat ALCLAD for finish, but considering how much easier it is to get a decent finish, my money is on True Metal.

:beer:

For small Brass fittings I’d use a Gray primer base, then go with Any true Acrylic hobby paint thinned with a drop or two of water, and build up the intensity of the color with a few coats of the Brass color paint.

I myself use this method for hand painting small parts and find that the paint does self level. Without a primer coat, the paint never really has a consistent and base to attach to.

joel