Return to dioramas after a long time

Hello guys,
so my first diorama after xx years is getting going. This is an old Tamiya Panther tank kit. I cut the engine door open and stuck a Maybach engine in it. Just in the process of positioning the figures,painting, and figuring out some groundwork. Unfortunately my painting on the tank leaves something to be desired - will improve that and then work on some weathering…

7 Likes

Nice start, looking forward to seeing what you do with it :+1:

Looks good so far/ Micke

It’s good to see someone back at modelling, enjoy!

Thanksgiving the encouragement! :slight_smile:
Here are a couple of pics of progress so far.

Paint and vegetation is the next step plus a bit more work on the Panther and figures…

4 Likes

Further progress :slightly_smiling_face:
Enjoying this - now I need to develop my groundwork…

4 Likes

Ground work done :slight_smile:
Mostly painting to finish and some extras for the tank.
Will post some more pictures when I’ve finished it…

2 Likes

Nice groundwork and nice figures.
Looking forward to seeing it finished

Nicely done Paul, I like this. :point_up:
Dave :slightly_smiling_face:

Looks really good, what clay/filler did you use for your base? I’ve been looking but, there are so many products out there… When I saw your diorama, I thought ‘that looks like the very thing’.

I used instant Papier Mache. Also used wood glue on the base before the Papier Mache to make sure it all stuck together well. Painted it, then used diluted white wood-glue sprinkled with fine soil, tiny stones and chopped up dry leaves. The only problem I had was that the base is made from a picture frame with hardboard backing. This warped when the Papier Mache dried… doesn’t affect the diorama but the base has a bowed shape corner to corner. So next time I will use a more solid base.

1 Like

Nice one, thanks for getting back to me, the finish you achieved looks spot on, I’m going to start on a base of dense foam cut roughly to shape and then surface it but, I want it to look like yours when I’m done. Thanks again.